Hobby Lobby today....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJBlaine

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if a crochet emergency will qualify as "essential" travel in case of a lockdown, so I decided to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby while I was out shopping today for a little extra yarn.

I was shocked. Amazed. Stunned even. Row upon row of fully stocked shelves. Aisle after aisle devoid of customers. Only two cashiers and both with only 1-2 people in line.

What exactly are people planning on doing when it comes time to quarantine/lockdown? Doesn't anyone have hobbies anymore? Is it seriously all just Netflix and Playstation?

I find thoughts running thru my head like "What is wrong with young people today?" And for the first time in my life, I feel old. : (

Lol, the last thing I'd want to do is crochet but I hate yarn work in general.

I have my games and books. I don't go out much anyways so my day to day life isn't impacted as of yet.

At least I live in a area where I can go outside and not worry about being exposed or endangering others. Yard work is come, then gardening.

My hubby will go crazy if he won't be able to work. Maybe he can get some of those projects caught up.

I'm not quite sure if a crochet emergency will qualify as "essential" travel in case of a lockdown, so I decided to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby while I was out shopping today for a little extra yarn.

I was shocked. Amazed. Stunned even. Row upon row of fully stocked shelves. Aisle after aisle devoid of customers. Only two cashiers and both with only 1-2 people in line.

What exactly are people planning on doing when it comes time to quarantine/lockdown? Doesn't anyone have hobbies anymore? Is it seriously all just Netflix and Playstation?

I find thoughts running thru my head like "What is wrong with young people today?" And for the first time in my life, I feel old. : (

We have a huge Mennonite community...the ladies were out in full force this weekend stocking up on basic goods such as yarn, fabric, thread, etc. Our LYS (local yarn store) has closed till at least the end of the month, but is taking on line orders...she said business is good.

That's how it was for us yesterday at Hobby Lobby. There might have been a total of 100 people come through my entire day shift. Fun part was when it seemed like they all wanted to come right as our power went out for 20-30 minutes. I don't know about the other 3 cashiers, but I rang up an awful lot of fabric, yarn and puzzles when I wasn't scrubbing down the counters and buggies. If we shut down, I've got plenty of soaping stuff to do. I've also got a large stockpile of fabric and yarn for my daughter and I to play with. She's also got soap projects to do as well as painting projects.

I probably have enough yarn to stock a store. :D

I've got 4 oversized totes overfilled with yarn, along with a couple of suitcases and several large bags tucked around the apartment. My fiancee told/asked me last year to not bring home any more yarn after I cleaned a couple of thrift stores out, lol. He's perfectly fine with the constant stream of soaping supplies though. Go figure, lol.

I'm good........ This shut in should help me 1) finish the back of this big quilt. 2) make more with the stash i have
IMG_20200317_212702718[1].jpg

I’m not that bad, but bad enough that it’ll be a year before I run out. I’ll probably use my gift certificate to stock up a little, but right now I’m laying in some extra soap supplies...noticed I was running low in Castor oil and I;ve been getting requests for Lotion Bars with all the hand washing going in.

I have hobbies, thank you for asking. I have enough yarn to crochet or loom knit several house covers, thank you very much. My hand, though, after the fracture, says not so fast. I really have tried to convince myself to give it to someone, but it never happened. I am going to see if I can crochet or loom knit for 1 hour a day.

I am already planning on how to spend my lockdown time. I ordered an Italian loaf mold for bread. I am planning to go this afternoon to the farm and ranch store to buy summer vegetable plants and another parsley plant as mine bolted. I have not ordered any soaping supplies as every time I turn around I am finding more already that is already made. And as it is, I have enough made for our extended family for about 3 years.

I am also going to wrangle my hubby around to my way of thinking and letting me order a sewing machine (hand cranked that I can convert to using a battery operated screwdriver to run) for leather so I can use up the supplies I have (and maybe get more). Hand sewing the leather kills my hand. I also have a co-worker that has offered to let me borrow a cloth sewing machine (she has 9 at last count), so I may pick that back up.

I almost have too many hobbies at this point. And a sudden influx of time may just be what I need to work some of this stuff into usable items.

I have enough yarn to make several large afghans, a few sweaters and lots of doilies.

I learned how to make rag rugs last summer and have bags of old t-shirts just waiting to chopped and braided.

Loaned my best sewing machine to a daughter but could still sew if needed with the other two sitting here collecting dust.

All of that and I'd rather make soap! :)

I am stocked for the next 2 weeks at least with things to do, then there are the 4 quilts to long arm, the parrots to play with, the husband (working from home as of today) to deal with.......my plate is full.

I always work remotely from home, and as part of management, have more work now that some of our staff is out. I will have less time for hobbies now, not more. Not complaining one bit tho - I'm incredibly thankful to be working for a company that can stay open and keep auto-depositing that paycheck into my bank account. Many others are not so fortunate... like my daughter, who just opened a business and had to let go of her two employees since she's in a forced closure area. And her husband works remotely at home for a business that is seriously impacted by the closures, AND their two young kids are home from school. It's pretty rough out there.

Not me but DW Jan has a very nice stash. She does finger weaving ( native American tradition) and baskets ( same) and always has at least one project going. She stocks enough yarn to last her a year.
I need to get a stash of lye...

We both also have outdoor hobbies and live remote enough that those will still be available if we need to "shelter in place".

I am REALLY hoping this is not the "new normal".

You knitters and crocheters amaze me. My hands are slow, my stitches are clumsy and I'm too impatient for anything large. I did order a darning foot for my sewing machine though so I can try free motion quilting during the shelter-in-place order we've come to expect. I have a quilt top ready to go. I am pretty excited to try it. I have only made utility quilts before from old clothes, but this one has pretty new fabric. And I have plenty of soaping supplies to tide me over til gardening season.

Plenty of hobbies to keep going for 100 yrs or more. Knitting, crocheting, poly clay, stained glass, Chinese painting, drawing, pottery (haven't done any for ages), soaping of course, gardening after the rain, lots and lots of sewing, embroidery, colouring in books etc etc.

I've been crocheting a blanket ( Persian Tiles) for the last 3 weeks day and night, I stay up until 11pm, then do some while I eat breakfast and probably do too much crocheting when I should be doing other things.:oops:

I did forget to mention I could pull out some of my unfinished cross stitch and a king-sized Giant Dahila quilt top that needs one row of Seminole Indian Patchwork border that was started many moons ago. The Giant bias dahlia is all hand sewn with only the border done on a machine. It really is a shame I never finished it. Maybe I will get it out and look at it since I am not sure if I will have a market when this mess is over.

I have approx enough oils and supplies to make 100 batches of soap, so I should be plenty busy, as well as enough other supplies to be well stocked in B&B products. I also have 100 books on my shelves to read. Provided that we are not quarantined by the weekend, hubby is picking up paint so that should I not be able to work from home I will be able to paint various rooms in our house. We also have four totes of various board games to enjoy lots of family time. So ... no... I actually foresee very little Netflix and gaming in my future.

I did forget to mention I could pull out some of my unfinished cross stitch and a king-sized Giant Dahila quilt top that needs one row of Seminole Indian Patchwork border that was started many moons ago. The Giant bias dahlia is all hand sewn with only the border done on a machine. It really is a shame I never finished it. Maybe I will get it out and look at it since I am not sure if I will have a market when this mess is over.
Would love to see your cross stitch and quilt :). I have some cross stitch too - now where is it :rolleyes:? that is the question.
Maybe now is the time we can work on our UFO's and share photos. Always love to see what other hobbies, craft etc that everyone does. :D

This is what I'm working on (google image), I decided to add an extra row and make it 4 rows across and 5 rows down. I blocked some of it today and will start the extra octagons tonight.

Latest posts

Back