Hmm, I wonder how their lye calculator is? I'm not sure if I want to find out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rune

Reaction score
This text was in the description under a Youtube video where a person made hot processed liquid soap:

"Hot Process Soap Making is using different Lye (Potassium Hydroxide - KOH) and usually involved heat to process. It can be used immediately after heated. If you process hot process soap making without additional heat sources, then you need to cure your soap for at least 2 weeks. It can be in solid soap and also in liquid soap. We are making a liquid soap paste by hot process soap making.

Cold Process Soap Making is using Sodium Hydroxide (Naoh). It need at least 4 to 6 weeks to cure before using. Cold Process does not involve any heat. Cleansing result will better than hot process soap.

There is no best method to process Hot Process Soap Making, you can use slow cooker, in a pot on a stove or even without any additional heat sources.

Tips: Never leave your hot process soap while cooking. Unattended hot process soap can grow in size creating a soap volcano and resulting a failed batch of soap.

If you want to add fragrance or essential oil in hot process soap, you can add it after it mixed with water to avoid it vaporize due to heat.

Our soap calculator is created by XXXX's Co-Founder (company name censored by me), you can log on to www.XXXXX.com (censored) to get the measurement on your soap making."

You are allowed to share links. It could very well be a known calc that is trustworthy
On the other hand, the text you included has some bad info so I would probably not even bother looking into it any further.

I was far more bemused by their business -- making jewelry out of breast milk -- than their soap making. Maybe they pair the jewelry with breast milk soap? What you can find on YouTube..... :confused:

http://www.woodiepie.com

And it's really no wonder that so many people have so many wrong ideas about soap making - anyone online can say anything about soaping! And when it's not in a forum format or anywhere else with comments, no one can correct the bad information. Sad!

So if we wanted to correct this for newbies... what would it look like? I had to read it a few times to get the context, and I don't think it is entirely wrong... the creator of the text (not to be confused with the thread OP) may have been "standing too close to the forest" and didn't consider what an average reader would pull from it. I also wonder if the creator is not a natural English speaker, given some of the word order used. Such as this: "Hot Process Soap Making is using different Lye (Potassium Hydroxide - KOH) and usually involved heat to process. ... It can be in solid soap and also in liquid soap. We are making a liquid soap paste by hot process soap making."

Corrected would be: We are making a liquid soap paste by hot process soap making. Liquid soap paste is made using a different lye (potassium hydroxide - KOH). Hot Process soap making involves heat to process the lye. [striking the "it can be used immediately after heating.... etc" - I'm not sure if the creator means the paste itself or HP soaps in general, and confused about "process hot process soap making without additional heat sources" isn't that no longer HP??] Hot processing can be used for solid soap made with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or liquid paste made with potassium hydroxide (KOH).

Cure information for HP on the web is just bad, I think we can agree on that! I'm ok with the OP posting the bad information, and others comments regarding that it is bad, but I feel that for the sake of our newbies we should offer some corrections rather than just agreement. If I had read this post 3 years ago when I first joined, I would have been scratching my head wondering "what's bad about it". Keep in mind that at that point I only had a year of CP under my belt, no experience with LS or HP... and 3 years later I still have very little experience with either. Just enough knowledge to make me dangerous (to myself or others, you decide...), so I don't think I'm the one to make corrections regarding LS and HP.

Cold Process Soap Making is using Sodium Hydroxide (Naoh). It need at least 4 to 6 weeks to cure before using. Cold Process does not involve any heat. Cleansing result will better than hot process soap.

This is another example of bad advice. How well a soap cleans depends entirely on the recipe, not how the soap is made. It also implies that bar soap is only made CP while HP is only made with KoH.

"There is no best method to process Hot Process Soap Making, you can use slow cooker, in a pot on a stove or even without any additional heat sources." How is it HOT process if there is no additional heat source? I guess to this person's mind, KOK = hot process?

"There is no best method to process Hot Process Soap Making, you can use slow cooker, in a pot on a stove or even without any additional heat sources." How is it HOT process if there is no additional heat source? I guess to this person's mind, KOK = hot process?

That's one of the instances that made me wonder if the creator is ESL - or maybe trying to condense text fit a certain amount of characters. Of course experienced soap makers know that without additional heat sources it isn't HP, but maybe the point isn't that HP can be made without additional heat sources but that soap in general can be made without additional heat sources?

Sorry to sound like I'm defending the creator - I have no invested interest with the creator (I didn't even go out to the web to try to find it). I feel bad for them because they have poor writing skills which discredits the few bits of true information that they have.

I think the ladies who are doing this are Malaysian. At least their prices are in Ringett which is Malaysian currency.

Back