HI, just joined

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandrasACRE

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined. I was on myspace networking and collecting new friends and I stumbled upon this forum.

I have always wanted to learn how to make soap. Is it easy? Sandra

Hi Sandra,
welcome to the right place! :wink:
I'm still in 'baby shoes' when it comes to making my own soap, but I can tell you already that it's highly addictive! :lol:
So far I'm only doing the M&P (Melt & Pour) method, which is very easy to start with IMHO. You buy the glycerin base, add the fragrances, coloring and pour it into the molds. You can experiment a lot, try embedding little things etc.

There are other methods, but they require lye and a little more 'work' -at least I still haven't 'dared' to take the plunge.

We have many experienced soapmakers among us, I'm sure they'll all be happy to help you!

Looking forward to get to know you!

Happy soaping! :D

Nice to meet you, it can be easy.. but technical.. and dangerous if your not too careful.. but all and all.. ITS FUN!

Glad you found us! There are a lot of experienced soapers here to help answer any questions you may have as well as a lot of people in your same position - just getting started or just researching soap making. You'll fit right in here. Just be warned - soap making can be VERY addicting :)

Glad to "meet" you SandrasACRE! :D
We are a friendly place where we just love talking, sharing, encouraging everyone who joins our group! Always remember, ask plenty of questions, someone will answer you for sure. For a few years now, I've made only goat milk based soaps, using the CP method, actually, RTCP. :wink: It is fun, but as smellitlikeitis noted, something that requires attention and caution.
Glad to found us, and welcome aboard!

Paul.... :wink:

Hi Sandra, I just joined here also. Maybe us newbies can learn together and get brave enough to try to make something. :D

Soapmaker Man said:
For a few years now, I've made only goat milk based soaps, using the CP method, actually, RTCP.

What is the CP method when making soap??

KPsig.jpg

KarenP said:
Hi Sandra, I just joined here also. Maybe us newbies can learn together and get brave enough to try to make something. :D

Karen, CP stands for Cold Process. CP soapmaking is where you do not "cook" the batter, but rather let the saponification process occur over a period of time without adding heat. There are various methods of CP soaping as well as HP or Hot Process Soapmaking. Since I do CP, I let my soaps "age, cure" for at least 5 or 6 weeks before I sell them. If you HP, you can use your soap as soon as you unmold it and cut the bars.

This is a very brief explanation of what "CP" and "HP" soapmaking means. Just ask away, and we who have a little experience will try to help out. :)

The 'Ole Goat Soaps & Lotions

I have been wanting to learn to make candles for a long time but I have to admit, I think I am getting more interested in the soap making than the candle making.

Is there a way to make liquid soap instead of the bar soap?? I love my liquid soap in the shower. :D

KPsig.jpg

KarenP said:
I have been wanting to learn to make candles for a long time but I have to admit, I think I am getting more interested in the soap making than the candle making.

Is there a way to make liquid soap instead of the bar soap?? I love my liquid soap in the shower. :D

KPsig.jpg

YES, liquid soap is fun, so I've heard! You use Sodium Hydroxide for CP and HP soap, and Potassium Hydroxide for liquid soaps. A great reference book is by Catherine Failor. That is my next project to tackle.

Sandra!

Hey, Sandra!

I'm new, too. I love handmade soap. I have tons of it. I'm learning to make soap, and will eventually have my own business — to earn some extra cash.

From what I've read and gleaned from other soapmakers: Soapmaking isn't hard, but it's something that requires attention to the "details". It's not a "throw in a cup of this, a pinch of that, and a smidgen of what?" kind of thing.

I'm starting with CP, cuz that's where my heart is. This is a very nice place to be. It was recommended to me, by a few very nice soapmakers.

I hope you enjoy it here, and learn as much as you can!

Peace!

Hi I'm new here

Hi I'm new here as well.

Just stumbled upon this forum while I was searching for a way to make our leftover soap slivers into liquid soap.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

Hunnybee

Not to hi-jack, but welcome to SMF, hunnybee! Glad you found us like you did. I don't quite know the answer to this, have read elsewhere about this process, but perhaps someone will chime in who has done this. I want to venture into the LS realm soon, but using potassium hydroxide/oils method. Enjoy you new found "home!"

welcome to all the new people!! I do M&P only right now. I am dangerous enough without harmfull stuff. :)

If you have any questions, please don't be afraid to ask. We are all friendly here!

Back