Hi, introducing Mwah!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepherz

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm a newbie and thought I'd introduce myself. I first made soaps back in 2001. My soaps came out deliciously, mostly castille, but I just got wrapped up in life and put my new hobby on the back burner. Then I had a couple of babies. And now, 7 years, later I'm going to pick back up where I left off.

I rendered tallow to make soap once-- I was pretty proud of how deliciously that one came out-- creamy and sudsy. But I couldn't stomach washing in animal fats, even though you couldn't tell it wasn't plant fats, so I ended up tossing the whole lot. Soooo sad...

I'm pregnant again, so I'm a little nervous about soap making this time. But I figured if I used my mask (which I used to use even when I wasn't pregnant) and also mix my lye solution outdoors-- I should be ok. What do you think?

Nice to meet you all and thanks for your insight and for sharing your experience!

Stephanie

I don't know the in's and out's of it but whenever I make soap I have the kitchen window open, the front door (so that just the screen door is closed) and a fan on. I wear a mask too but I've never noticed the fumes with that much ventilation.

Just make sure the kiddos aren't around when your making the soap.

welcome!

Hi Stephanie and welcome from Australia! Ventilation is key and your mask idea is a good one....should be fine then, and I agree with Jola - kids/pets and soaping do not mix! :wink:

Enjoy your new soapmaking journey!

Tanya :)

One of the reasons I decided to do soap making again is because the kids are in preschool now! So I have all day by myself to make soaps if I want. I figured I should get a few batches in before the new baby gets here!

Latest posts

Back