Hi from Ontario

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been reading this site for a while, but I'm kinda shy to post. You all seem so nice and friendly, so I thought I would take the plunge today. I mostly make MP, and occasionally do HP. Not into the CP for now.

I started out as a hobbyist, but after a bitter divorce, I now do it for a living. I started out at craft shows, but now do mostly trade shows. Although I still do a few craft shows around Christmas and in the summer, because I love the interaction with the customers. My main source of income is through private label accounts.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hi Gracie and welcome from a fellow Canadian! You'll love it here - everyone here is just a friend you haven't met yet...

Hi Gracie! I'm new here too, from Alberta. Welcome! I'm just getting into selling my soaps and am hoping to make a living from it. We'll see. :) I'm thinking of doing craft shows and farmers markets to get going and have a website as well. You must have a decent sized setup to be able to keep up with private labels. :)

Thanks Lindy!!! I have read alot of your posts and am routing for you.

moondancer, go for it, start small with craft shows and famers markets to get your name out. We now have a 1,500 sq ft work shop, but we started in my garage. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

welcome Gracie, sounds like you're kept pretty busy.....

Thanks Gracie. Right now I'm trying to do a business plan to borrow a bit of money. The hardest part of the thing is figuring out what the possible income is and what my so-called "market share" will be. LOL There are so many soap makers and every one makes a completely different product from everyone else. And a huge number of them work at home and sell a bit here and there and are really quiet about their "job". You don't even know they're there. LOL So figuring out market share isn't easy. ;) So far I haven't found any real statistics on "us" to back up anything I say. The loan is a government one, and the government lives for stats! :lol: I figure the online store part will be more someplace to be able to send people to order again than anything else. I do want to keep this small, at least in the beginning, while I learn a bit more. The house I'm in is quite small, so I'll be having to move over for the soap supplies once I really get going. LOL But maybe I can start to sell enough to be able to get moved at some point and that will help a lot. Anyway, thanks for the offer to help. I will mostly likely be asking people a number of questions once I figure out what I should be asking. :)

moondancer:

I would make an appointment with a small business manager at your local bank. Not for a loan but for some business advice. Your going to have to have a business account at some point, so starting a good relationship with a bank is a good start.

Sorry, I can't help you with any government loans as I privately financed my company. But I do recall reading that Lindy went through a program, she would be in a better position to answer that then I.

Finding your niche is key. What kind of soap do you make, CP, HP or MP? Start visiting your local venues, where you plan on selling to see what's already out there. Check out esty and artfire as well. I would not go to the expense of a web-site at the beginning. Besides shipping in Canada is outrageous. Check out small shops and boutiques in the area, to see if they carry soaps. There is a big push right now to buy local products. Someone might be interested in your product especially if its a touristy area. Check out farmers markets and school fairs too, there booth fees are more reasonable.

I find in my area, that there are few soapmakers that do it full-time, but I see lots at the Christmas Craft Shows. They are most likely paying for their hobby as opposed to doing it for a living. There is room for everyone. My children are older so I have lots of time to put into my business, which is a huge advantage.

Its a tough economy right now, so take your time and do lots of research. It can take a long time, of re-investing in your business, before you see a profit. Start small, but dream big!!!

naturliche: Waving back!

Thanks Gracie, for the information and the encouragement. I actually have a business admin diploma from DeVry, so I have a good idea about a lot of the business part of things. I've also had a few businesses over the years, which has helped me learn more. :) The bit of research I've done in this area (for another business, but it holds true for most businesses in the area) is that people here don't generally buy here. This town is located an hour away from two larger centres, one being Calgary (over 1 million there). People go there or to Lethbridge to shop. Having said that, there are several farmer's markets and craft shows that I can probably get into over the summer if I can get going with this. It all takes time. The website I'm getting won't cost me very much each month once I get it set up and running. A friend owns it and is letting me use it to get going. :) Mostly I'm trying to find stats for the business plan right now to back up my projections and prove market share, which is something that Community Futures (the people I'm working with for the loan) has asked for. I would love to be able to do this without borrowing anything but my circumstances that don't allow that. Ah well. I shall persevere and get going as soon as I can. Thanks again! Any help is gratefully appreciated and accepted.

Back