Hi from Nassau, Bahamas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windersnest

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've never made soap before but have watched many videos and read a lot about soapmaking and want to make my own. I'm tired of the commercially and chemically made things.
I recently moved out of FL to Nassau and I have been so excited to get started but am having a heck of a time finding a place to get lye from. And I saw that sodium hydroxide is on the prohibited list of goods to be imported into Bahamas.
So what can I do?

I found an old thread in the search that someone from the Bahamas wanted to find shops in FL to buy lye and supplies to bring back to the Bahamas.
If you live here, I would love to hear if you've been able to bring back lye back into the country -or if you know of any stores in Nassau that sell it!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. If you can find a drain cleaner that is 100% sodium hydroxide, you can use it. Hardware stores and Home Depot-type stores may handle it. If not, you can always order pre-made cp soap base and rebatch, adding extra ingredients.

Welcome to the forum. If you can find a drain cleaner that is 100% sodium hydroxide, you can use it. Hardware stores and Home Depot-type stores may handle it. If not, you can always order pre-made cp soap base and rebatch, adding extra ingredients.

I haven't been able to get around the island much so have only been to one store so far and no 100% sodium hydroxide. They only had liquid drain cleaners.
Hard to get around without having a car.

Hope I won't have to go the premade cp soap base route.

Hello and welcome! I wish I had an answer for you. Are there any chemical suppliers in Nassau? Some people have been able to purchase sodium hydroxide through them. Are there any food service suppliers? You could check with them to see if they carry food grade sodium hydroxide. You could try calling schools and see if they get sodium hydroxide for chemistry classes. If so, they might tell you their supplier. Also, you could post in the Shopping Recommendations and ask if anyone may be able to help you.

I am in Nassau too and am now looking into making soap were you able to find Lye in Nassau. Are you still in Nassau? Blanco Bleach sells the Caustic Soda liquid (which I believe is the same but just the liquid and not the crystals) but it is extremely expensive (20 gallon is the only size). If you know of others who want to share this let me know.

I am in Nassau too and am now looking into making soap were you able to find Lye in Nassau. Are you still in Nassau? Blanco Bleach sells the Caustic Soda liquid (which I believe is the same but just the liquid and not the crystals) but it is extremely expensive (20 gallon is the only size). If you know of others who want to share this let me know.

This post is 3 years old. The OP hasn't been here since. I would start a new post to hopefully get an answer.

Back