HI from Canada!!! Wanting to Set Up A Newsletter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev Cares

Reaction score
Hi everyone and happy 2009!
I am new to this site and new to making my own soaps and body washes and am taking steps to really go natural from bath products to cleaning products and trying to spread the word for people to start reading labels.. we read what goes into our bodies and now its time to start reading what goes onto our bodies too... i would really really appreciate any good tips on best places to get natural body wash base in canada preferrably but anything like that would be helpful .. i have been doing research for years now and i just need to get some good body wash base but like to hear other peoples experiences with different types.. thank you and happy washing! :)

Welcome hello Canuck! This is a great forum to share and learn.

Where are you located? I'm on the Sunshine Coast in BC....former Calgarian... 8)

Hi from another Canuck here. I live in the interior of B.C. I stay as natural as I can with my products too, but I make everything from scratch and don't use bases so I haven't looked for natural bases. However I do know that New Directions in Ont. has an organic body wash base. The website is: www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca You could also try Voyageur Soap and Candle here in BC. Their website is: www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca

HtH

Thank you for the nice welcome!! I am formerly a BC girl myself from little northern town by alaska.. lol.. then i moved to vancouver island and now here in calgary.. i am having a hard time finding reasonably priced products i want to use such as castille soap etc here in calgary .. i go to soaps and more but its a little pricey and not enough selection... hmmm.. well i am on a quest to make my own from scratch but need more practice and reading every single night this forum is amazing and sooo helpful!! i am so so happy to meet people with the same outlook as me and to get such awesome advice its such a relief to know i am headed in the right direction...
i got into this whole thing going years back suffering from extreme migraines i couldnt stand the smell of those synthetic fragrances and well then i started doing more and more research after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia and all the benefits of essential oils in my bath and a nice remedy for my headaches too i put it right on my temples ( it has a carrier oil base) and its soo nice.. i am now throwing out all my commercial products and have started to spread the word about getting my friends over to make some soap etc and getting good feedback..
i really do want to start my own business in the next year i just want to have enough soap making experience and knowlege under my belt before i break into that but i have made some awesome body washes for my family and friends and they love it!! i cant explain how passionate i am about this and i truly do appreciate any advice and places for packaging (canada please) and your own experiences.. thank you everyone and ummmm... i used to be canucks fan big time but now living in calgary i go to Flames games.. hahaha! but you can call me a canuck its where i was born and raised anyway!!!
happy soapmaking!!! :lol:

Another Canuck welcome.

As far as I know a Canuck is soeone from anywhere in Canada and not just BC or a Canucks fan but what do I know. I'm in BC and a Vancouver Canucks fan.

I know you will love it here. EVERYONE is so friendly and helpful.

Well isn't that the funniest thing! I was born out here on the coast, then was raised in Calgary and am now back out here. Calgary is a vibrant city and I wish you the very best out there.

As for soaping supplies.....go to Costco to get your Olive Oil - after that go to Home Hardware (there is one down in Midnapore although I don't know what part of town you live in) to get your Lye they sell it although you can also check with Home Depot and Rona. I agree that Soaps & More are very expensive, I would recommend that you check out Voaygeur (http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/store/shop.asp) for some of your other supplies like Coconut Oil etc. For EO's & FO's check Michael's.

And yes a Canuck is a Canadian resident so even though you've moved to Calgary you're still a Canuck... :lol: ....hadn;t thought of the Hockey Team.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh wow now i feel silly.. hahhah.. ok i AM a canuck then! LOL
oh thank you so much for the great advice about the lye and the website.. i have been doing tons of research and i am hoping to start a batch this weekend.. my son prefers soap over liquid hand soap so i am going to make him some nice masculine ones ..its nice to have your family be so supportive isnt it! I just need to figure out my packaging now i want to make my own labels but need to find proper labels and also labels for my body wash.. hmmm.. any advice is greatly appreciated. i LOVE this site i have been on it while my husband is at work and i just have so many thoughts, ideas and inspiration running through my head but it feels sooo good.. I am going to have my first soap making party next month.. just doing pour and melt glycerine with fun molds and making nice labels so thats why i need to get some nice packaging paper kind of waxy i guess right and proper labels..
thanks again and thanks for the feedback..
your friend, the Canuck! LOL :D

Check on Michaels for your M&P...I don't know if they are going to be cheaper than Soaps'n'More but they might be. I would also check them out for cello bags. Voyageur does carry some packaging and I have found that Canwax has the cheapest pricing for boxes in Canada....(http://www.canwax.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/251746.htm).

Michaels also has some inexpensive chocolate molds for making embeds and stuff. I think once you're ready to start selling in Calgary you're going to find a strong market.

Cheers
Lindy

thank you so much!! i have lots of websites i have been surfing the web for ages now and a lot of the bases i keep finding with good pricing are from the states but i read on this website its good to keep all products you can from one site to cut down on shipping which i agree is a good idea.. i am going to michaels tomorrow and when my friends and i do the mp we are going to make our own labels to add a personal touch ...
thanks again!!!

I do CP soap BUT I saw this REALLY NEAT M&P project I might try. I can't remember what site it was on. Maybe someone else saw it and remembers where.

It was a clear M&P with a little goldfish imbed in a little baggie just like a little kid bringing a new goldfish home from the store. It was VERY cute.

I saw that one Jody!!!!!!!! It was made with Crystal Clear MP plus a plastic goldfish.... I want to make that one too...

Rev Cares....I buy most of my stuff from Voyageur except for my EVOO which I get through a local supplier/grocer who brings it in cheap for me....

I wish they would start carrying boxes so I get that through them too....hmmm I think I'll email that suggestion in to them... :roll:

I just noticed in my earlier post that I put the website address for New Directions twice when I meant to put the Voyageur website as the second one....duh! But Lindy directed you there so that's Ok.

The New Directions website I noted for you is Canadian and fairly inexpensive compared U.S. suppliers when you consider the postage and exchange rate.

I find Michaels pricey and I doubt you'll find very many "natural" ingredients there.

BTW: I was born and raised in the interior of BC but spent 24 of my adult years in Calgary before returning to BC. I'm glad to be "home".

I lived in Calgary during the heady days of the Flame vs. Oilers in the 1980s battle of Alberta. That was fantastic hockey.!

Hi TheGardener - what's your weather like? How bad did you get hit?

I agree about Michael's but they do carry chocolate molds and I think they have the M&P but not sure on that one. I know they have fragrance oils, not sure of quality and I'm not sure if they have EO's.

wow, thanks so much for the info! i just ordered up some goodies on new directions and voyageur!.. i cant believe how expensive soaps and more here in calgary is.. so they also charge 50/workshop.. i went there to buy micas for my eye makeup and other things and i paid 20/1 kg of body wash base... hmm. my husband said he m ust have overpriced you! lol
now i was going to get the mp from new directions but unfortunately it has sls in it and i dont want to go in that direction as everyone i have spoken to doesnt want that either..
now if people would like i can give your website address on my printouts i am handing out at my first party.. pass it on and let me know what you think! i can also feature a simple recipe of yours!!
thanks again and i am off to make some more body wash!
:p

ok so i sent out all my messages about my upcoming parties i am having and will just be doing melt and pour to start out with , my husband and i are going to make soaps together.. he is doing all of my calculating and it gives us something to do together now that our kids are older and plus my older son only likes to use bar soap.. now i have a question!!!
i would like to include some websites on my handout for people to buy their own beautiful handmade soaps such as YOURS and please, if anyone would like me to add their website, please let me know i can do this as i dont have much variety of just soap but your soaps are ALL too beautiful and the more i can spread about using handmade soaps the better i think!!! I am also putting together a recipe book if you would like your simple at home recipe for either soap or washing soaps, please let me know.. i am trying to bring together everyones efforts to 'go back to the basics' and hopefully my friend who is a registered massage therapist who does home visits will come there as well and we can buddy up and help spread the word so if you want to even send me samples i would pay for them of course and i can have samples at my parties for my friends/clients to touch , smell and feel and i think they are more inclined to buy from you then? please help!
hugs all around to all of you who are making a difference!

Hi there - that is such a generous offer. I think we would all love to be included in your hand out. Each of us who have a website has it listed and what you can do is click on the link at the bottom of everyone's name that is "www" and then you can check out the websites and choose the ones you like the best.

Would that work for you?

Cheers
lindy

Thank you!! I cant wait for the grand opening and I will definitely include your website lindy PLUS i will be ordering some for sure to show as samples and one for me so i can actually use them! I think we can all agree there are so so many added benefits of making your own soap and bath products , i have been doing research for years now and networking even more when i came up with the idea of little soaps for my younger step-daughter who thought bathtime was a real chore.. LOL So i am making my own and getting her to help me she will be more excited to use the soap i think of course we just make mp and the cp ones my husband and i are making!
thanks again and I hope we keep in touch so i can help all of you as well as we all have our own Niche as it was mentioned in a different post and i would like to offer small selection of everyones specialty soap like with yours i am going to boast about the tussah silk because i have read about this and found it intriguing!
smiles to you all!!!

Latest posts

Back