Hey there, another newbie :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gail.am.fisher

Reaction score
I've been lurking on and off for a bit, so I thought it was time I introduced myself and gave a quick explanation of my soapy journey.

I'm 56, a mum of two adult children and wife to a severely disabled hubby, owner/owned by 3 cats and my guilty pleasure is keeping tropical fish.

I've always suffered from allergies, they were mild, annoying but didn't interfere with my day-to-day life. I was careful, and found soap making as a way to avoid some of those chemicals known to cause problems. I had fun, I mixed and matched, fiddled and fine tuned and generally had a great time.

Then the allergies that I'd suffered from for years took a new turn what was a mild allergy to some detergents really expanded to a whole host of chemicals including limonene, linalool. That put a halt to a lot of my experimentation with fragrances - though there are some that I can tolerate - and some essential oils are low enough in the trigger chemicals that I can use them - chamomile and cedar for example.

Thankfully I've not developed an allergy to the colourants I've used so far - because... I really, really love those swirly pretty patterns :)

I'm really a beginner when it comes to the science of soap making but eagerly trying to get my mind round the ins and outs of the science behind the fun. I'm currently making my way - slowly - through Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin M Dunn.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this hobby takes me. I've had some interest from others with similar allergy issues in buying my soaps so I'm also going down the rabbit hole that's the rules and regulations of producing and selling soap in the UK.. oh my! lol the paperwork!

I'm thinking I should have started around the time I learned to crawl :D

Welcome! So sorry to hear of allergy problems, but know that you are in good company here. Many of us came to soap making (lotion making, etc.) due to a variety of allergies, reactions, and other problems with commercial products. Our UK members here will no doubt be a great support in your journey to sell. :)

Welcome.

While my husband doesn't have allergies per se, he does have sensitivities when it comes to smell. Lots of trial and error over the years on what laundry soap, cleaners and toiletries. Now it's making bath and body and of course, never know how he going to react until I go to make something. Like bath salts...I was using FOs I had used before, but once I added in a little Polysorbate 80, it triggered a bad headache that forced him to leave the house until I could get it aired out; fortunately the weather was still mild. But last Christmas...I made bath salts in the garage, freezing my butt off with the garage door halfway opened.

And depending on your ingredients, I think unscented soap smells very clean and fresh.

I've been lurking on and off for a bit, so I thought it was time I introduced myself and gave a quick explanation of my soapy journey.

I'm 56, a mum of two adult children and wife to a severely disabled hubby, owner/owned by 3 cats and my guilty pleasure is keeping tropical fish.

I've always suffered from allergies, they were mild, annoying but didn't interfere with my day-to-day life. I was careful, and found soap making as a way to avoid some of those chemicals known to cause problems. I had fun, I mixed and matched, fiddled and fine tuned and generally had a great time.

Then the allergies that I'd suffered from for years took a new turn what was a mild allergy to some detergents really expanded to a whole host of chemicals including limonene, linalool. That put a halt to a lot of my experimentation with fragrances - though there are some that I can tolerate - and some essential oils are low enough in the trigger chemicals that I can use them - chamomile and cedar for example.

Thankfully I've not developed an allergy to the colourants I've used so far - because... I really, really love those swirly pretty patterns :)

I'm really a beginner when it comes to the science of soap making but eagerly trying to get my mind round the ins and outs of the science behind the fun. I'm currently making my way - slowly - through Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin M Dunn.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this hobby takes me. I've had some interest from others with similar allergy issues in buying my soaps so I'm also going down the rabbit hole that's the rules and regulations of producing and selling soap in the UK.. oh my! lol the paperwork!

Hi welcome I'm already sure you will love this hobby forever 😆 lol. It's also wonderful on this forum everybody helps out and you learn lots.

👋 also a uk soaper welcome, I pop in and out of this such a wealth of experience and information! 😍

Latest posts

Back