herbs in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deana73

Reaction score
I plan to add in herbs in my soap. which are best or do able? Moved from CP

I tried lemon grass, it turn black and made my green colour turned brown

Everything but calendula petals has turned brown or black for me. Recently tried blue malva flowers in M&P hoping they would hold their color. Went brown within two days. Growing borage, when I have flowers I plan to try those - they hold their color in ice cubes, gorgeous in a punchbowl or in a glass.

carrot

I once tried to color soap with carrot juice ( just a little bit). It was a disaster... don't try that.... Than i tried to put some leaves of basil in soap.... disaster....
So i guess, dried herbs or other dried plants would do the trick better.

Last edited:
Yep - everything turns but calendula - as far I know, too. That can be a nice look, though. I use ground peppermint leaves in my peppermint soap. They turn brown, but it looks nice anyway - just don't use a lot. If they are nice and spread out through the batter, it's very "natural" looking.

You should always use dried herbs; though I do admit to using wet calendula petals in HP once. Nothing bad happened, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used ground parsley to add a green color to my soap. It stayed green, I don't know if I just got lucky or what...

I've also used dried ground parsley that stayed green, but speckled. I did not gel so that may have helped it stay green. I made it more than a month ago and it's still nice and green.

Last edited:
I use wheat grass powder for one of my greens all the time. It is speckled but lovely.

Back