herbal tea lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
i wanted to experiment using herbal tea to dissolve the sodium hydroxide instead of water. how should i do this? what is everyone's experience with it?

I've used chai tea, peppermint tea, and green tea so far, and have always just brewed REALLY REALLY strong tea, let it cool down, and then used it as my liquid. Then I add the recipe's usual amount of lye to the tea, and soap away :)

I do it the same way that jenn624 does. Be aware that sometimes you get stinky mixtures, but that goes away. :)

I've also done this with blackberry leaf tea, and strong apricot tea. They come out really really nice.

I've also used herbal teas. The ones that turn dark pink (eg. Tazo Passion) undergo a cool transformation when mixed with the lye. The solution turns green/blue then settles down into an orange color which usually turned tan in the finished soap. Mixing the herbs from the tea bag into the soap at trace added a nice texture, as long as the herbs are fine pieces.

You might as well experiment but mine didn't turn out anything like I thought. I used a very berry herb tea that was a beautiful dark pink color. As soon as the lye hit it it turned very dark brown and stunk! The resulting soap was light brown in color and I added FO so it did smell good.

thanks for the info, i will definetly try those suggestions. just one other question. what would you say is the benefit to using tea instead of plain water? is it the color in your final soap, or the scent, or something else? thanks again!

tea bag in lye solution

i dropped some herbal tea bags into the lye solution, while it was hot, to brew the tea in the lye. it got dark fairly quickly, then i removed the tea bags. seemed to work well....i've seen other ppl throw in tea leaves and brew them in the lye and leave the tea in the lye solution, to be incorporated into the soap though ive not tried that yet

Latest posts

Back