herbal infusions for both colors and scents - recent results

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so impressed with all the beautiful natural colors in your soaps. I have purchased or grownlots of herbs and spices to try for infusions but still fall back on the old ultramarines and synthetic colorants, (mostly because I know how to get the same colors over and over again for soap sales). You can given me inspiration to try the natural infusions!

I did a couple experiments with matcha green tea powder. One I added the powder after trace and it turned brown really fast. The other I used matcha infused olive oil and the soap is a very dull green. I did use a floral wax in that one and I think it affected the coloring.

SUZBathandBody said:
I am so impressed with all the beautiful natural colors in your soaps. I have purchased or grownlots of herbs and spices to try for infusions but still fall back on the old ultramarines and synthetic colorants, (mostly because I know how to get the same colors over and over again for soap sales). You can given me inspiration to try the natural infusions!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope this helps some. I will not pretend it is easy. I try to make the infusions the same strength, but sometimes some end up a darker color, or lighter. For example if i want a certain green, i will do a measured amount of indigo in the water, and then a measured amount of yellow coconut oil. This is more reproducible than using infused anatto, even though infused anatto can give beautiful greens too. I will use anatto by itself, or from a batch where I know how much it colors.

skyfarms said:
I did a couple experiments with matcha green tea powder. One I added the powder after trace and it turned brown really fast. The other I used matcha infused olive oil and the soap is a very dull green. I did use a floral wax in that one and I think it affected the coloring.

I'll have to ask my mom how she did it. It's worth experimenting with.

TheSoapSmith said:
skyfarms said:

I'll have to ask my mom how she did it. It's worth experimenting with.

Definitely! I'd love to be able to get a green with that powder. I do love experimenting too.

Macha soap

So I asked my mom how she was able to keep her macha soap so green, and she used hydrated chrome green oxide. She added the macha directly to the water before mixing in the lye and apparently it turned the macha water black :shock: . Well now I know :roll: . Oh well it still smells good.

Oh well! I've heard that some people have better luck with sencha green tea staying green in soap. I'll probably experiment again with the matcha anyway.

yeah I'm sure to try xperimenting to. once supplies get here i'm gonna try a green tea macha with sunny raspberry fragrance. Raspberry green tea here I come :D

the macha I got off of amazon.com, everything else soap stores will sell most of the natural colorants, at least the one I look into. other than that look into herb stores and try experimenting with different ones, you never know what you'll come up with. :D

Latest posts

Back