Hemp soap going bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffm

Reaction score
I make hemp oil soap. I made some 7+ months ago and it is perfect. No orange spots or strange smell. I made two more batches recently and they have orange spots :x . I used hemp oil from a different supplier. I usually use hemp oil from Nutiva and Brambleberry. This time, I purchased from Soaper's Choice. It was half the price of the other two. It smells different from the other two, as well and the soap color is so different than than the last batches. I know that my percent of hemp is high. I have never had a problem until these two batches. My recipe is

hemp oil-25%
coconut oil-25%
olive oil-50%
lye discount 6%
water discount 0%

This is driving me nuts! Like I said, these are the only two batches that I have had this problem with. Grrr! Will changing the oil to what I normally use help? Lowering lye discount? Adding ROE to my liquid oils when they hit my steps? Thanks!

did you change f/o too ...

I have 1 batch that got orange spots - as soon as I unmolded they started to appear ... my guess is f/o since I have made the same recipe alot of times

cwarren said:
did you change f/o too ...

I have 1 batch that got orange spots - as soon as I unmolded they started to appear ... my guess is f/o since I have made the same recipe alot of times

No FO. I don't use FO's in my hemp soap.

hemp isn't a very stable oil. I think the first, lasting batch is the anomaly.

+1

Do you know about this test? I found it very helpful[/quote]

Hm.. Thank was interesting. I have PKO, I must use it more. So far my favorite is soap with lard.

Thanks dubnica, for the link to the soap comparison test. I now have a better appreciation for how different base oils have different properties in soap. I bookmarked the page. :)

eucalypta said:
carebear said:
hemp isn't a very stable oil. I think the first, lasting batch is the anomaly.

+1

Do you know about this test? I found it very helpful

very helpful, great link! the one batch of hemp soap i made has changed in color over several months from a pretty, light-lime-green to an exceedingly boring pale green-orange and has dos. wouldn't do it again, though i love hemp oil in facial serums that i expect to have a short life.

HenleyNatural said:
Thanks dubnica, for the link to the soap comparison test. I now have a better appreciation for how different base oils have different properties in soap. I bookmarked the page. :)

actually it was not me who posted that link....but I did find it helpful as well.

The funny thing is, it wasn't even my second or third batch that did this, it was my fourth and fifth batch. All the other batches are fine. I will try lowering the amount of hemp oil and upping the coconut oil. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back