hemp seed oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, after our kidding around about the hemp oil aroma, in fact neither my refined or unrefined has any odor. So whatever I smelled in the hemp oil soap is an EO of some kind.

After reading this I had to run into the kitchen to get a whiff of my bottle of hemp seed oil. Not much of a aroma, not like I was expecting. :lol:

Mine was described as NOT containing any THC, so I didn't plan on going on a toot or anything like that. I just got it the other day, but haven't had a change to make any soap.

It's actually unrefined expellar pressed. Does that a difference? I noticed on soapcalc it just lists hemp oil.

If it wasn't so hot in the house I'd be in the kitchen cookin' up soap.

There's no significant amount of THC in hemp oil or they wouldn't be able to sell it. I imagine there's traces but not enough to be psychoactive. There's probably about as much pot in hemp oil is there are pigs in lard. Last time I looked at lard (yesterday) I didn't see any pigs. :)

Hemp oil is hemp oil as far as lye and SAP numbers. The only difference would be unsaponifiables. The rawer the oil the more unsaponifiables and the more aromatics and colorants. If you would be able to smell the raw hemp aroma at all it would be in your expeller pressed. Further refinement would reduce the aromatics and increase the clearness, which I'm realizing with all oils could be good or could be bad considering what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to include an oil but don't want the tint or aroma of that oil then obviously you want the most refined version. But if you're interested in the unsaponifiables you would want to use the rawer version. I recently purchased avocado oil--and BTW liked the avo soap I made--and now I'm thinking of making more avo soap and adding avocado pulp. That's just another way of including unsaponifiables in your recipe, and in a pretty big way too. But it occurs to me that I would probably be better off if I had purchased unrefined avocado oil and had more of those unsaps in the first place.

There are probably oils with objectionable aromas too, and you would always want those refined. Refined oils are typically clearer with less color. That would probably be a good thing if you're trying to achieve some color design with your soap and don't want competition and tinting interference from your base oils.

One thing that is really great is unrefined cocoa butter. Mmmmm chocolate!!! :) I've got both kinds of CB but you know I'm planning a chocolate soap! :) There's an example of good/bad aroma right there. If you want that chocolate aroma then unrefined CB is good, but if you're adding CB to a soap scented with a clashing aroma then you want the refined CB.

Here are some Ive saved (these are from different brands of hemp oil, so just insert your own! :) )

HEMPOLA HUMMUS
1 can organic chick peas (drained and rinsed)
3 tbsp organic tahini
2 cloves garlic (pressed)
1/4 C. (59 ml) Hempola Hempseed Oil
1/4 C. (59 ml) fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 C. (59 ml) water
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and serve with your favorite pita bread.
BONE BUILDING BROCCOLI
1 bunch broccoli
2 T Hempola Hempseed Oil
2 T (or to taste) low sodium soy sauce
1 T toasted sesame seeds
3 T orange juice
coarsely ground pepper
1. Steam broccoli until tender crisp, drain, and return to pot.
2. Toss with Hempola Hempseed Oil, soy sauce, pepper, and orange juice.
3. Transfer to serving bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
To toast sesame seeds, place them in a small pan over medium heat, shaking frequently, until they are golden brown. No oil is necessary.
Try adding fresh, finely chopped ginger for added flavor.
Avocado Hemp Dressing
Avocado blended with garlic and hemp oil makes an unusual and delicious salad dressing.
Yield 1½ cups
Time 5 minutes
Tools • chef's knife
• fork
• bowl
Ingredients o 2 very ripe avocados
o ¼ c hemp oil
o juice from 1 lemon
o 1-2 T cilantro, minced
o pepper
o 1-2 t Ume plum vinegar
o water
Directions Cut avocados in half. Hold the pitted half firmly, and strike with the chef's knife. The knife should stick to the pit, making it easy for you to pull it out of the avocado. Repeat with other avocado.
Scoop avocado out of skins and place in bowl. Mash with fork, then stir in hemp oil, lemon juice, cilantro, pepper, and vinegar. Thin with water, if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Notes A thicker dressing can also serve as a tasty dip or be drizzled over steamed vegetables.
Basil Pesto
This classic Italian sauce is rich and intense.
Yield 1½ cups
Time 10 minutes
Tools • blender or chopping knife
• large bowl
• wooden spoon
Ingredients o 2 c fresh basil, packed
o 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
o ½ c chopped pine nuts or walnuts
o ½ c grated parmesan cheese
o 5-6 T olive oil or hemp oil

Directions If you have a blender, put everything but the olive oil in and process until finely chopped. Stir in the olive oil and serve.
If you don't have a blender, chop the basil until it is dark green, pasty, and no longer resembles basil (about 5 minutes).
Mix chopped basil with the other ingredients and serve.
Notes Be sure to use good parmesan and oil - there's no point in eating pesto that's not made with the best ingredients available.
Serve over pasta or with bread and cheese.
Also try in "red, white, and green" pâté explained in the Notes section of my sun-dried tomato pâté recipe.
We make big batches of pesto during the summer and freeze them so that we can enjoy it throughout the winter. It freezes beautifully, and then it's a simple matter to thaw it and use it in things like pesto pizza and pesto tofu, and it's also great on top of bagels.

Vinaigrette
This classic dressing is great on just about any kind of salad.
Yield 1 cup
Time 5 minutes
Tools whisk + small bowl with lid
OR
glass bottle with cap
OR
cruet
Ingredients o ¼ c vinegar
o ½ c olive oil or hemp oil
o 1 T lemon juice
o 1 t Dijon mustard
o 1 t light brown or turbinado sugar
o 1-2 t soy sauce
o 1 t minced rosemary
o 3 cloves garlic, sliced or minced
o ½ t ground pepper
Directions Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl, bottle, or cruet, and whisk or shake until well mixed. If you use sliced garlic, it will just sit at the bottom of the jar, gradually improving the taste of the dressing.
Whisk or shake the dressing immediately before each serving.
Keep in a covered bowl or closed jar.
Notes I like to mix my vinegars. My favorite combination is ½ balsamic, ¼ rice wine, and ¼ red wine, apple cider, or raspberry vinegar. Experiment to see what you like best.
You can also substitute nut and/or seed oils for some or all of the olive oil.
If using a bottle or cruet, be sure that it is large enough to allow a thorough shaking. If there's not much empty space, the oil and vinegar will remain separate.
Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Prairie Emerald™ Hemp Oil
1/2 Cup honey
1 beaten egg
2 mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup Prarie Emerald™ Hemp Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup Hemp Nuggets™
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream together the oil and sweetener. Combine the eggs and banana, and blend into the sweet mixture. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the Hemp Nuggets™ and vanilla and mix well. Bake at 350° F. for 1 to 11/4 hours until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy.

1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup Prairie Emerald™ Hemp Oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Add egg and lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend till smooth. With the blender running at low speed,gradually add the oil until thick.

1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. green peppercorn Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup mandarin segments
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Fresh Spinach leaves, torn
Salt & Pepper
Crushed Hemp Nuggets™
Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl, let stand 15-20 minutes for flavour to develop. Toss over next threeingredients. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Hemp Nuggets™. Enjoy.

3-4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped small a few fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 Tbsp. of dry)
1 loaf of French bread, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 Tbsp. Prairie Emerald™ Hemp Oil
Salt & Pepper
Ground Toasted Hemp Seed
Place chopped tomatoes in bowl. Season with salt and stir in basil, crushed garlic and Hemp Oil. Let stand for 15-20 minutes.
Toast or broil bread until it is crisp on both sides.
Spoon marinated tomato mixture on toast, grind fresh pepper and Hemp Seeds over and serve at once.

1/2 cup each hulled, toasted, unsalted, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup Hemp Nuggets™
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup Prairie Emerald™ Hemp Oil
Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
Evenly spread granola in a 9 x 13 inch (3L) glass baking dish.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Add sunflower, pumpkin, flax and hemp seeds to the granola and mix well.
Place honey in a microwavable bowl or cup and heat for 1 to 2 minutes on high until hot but not boiling.
Pour over oil.
Drizzle honey mixture over the granola, mixing well until evenly coated.
Spread evenly and bake mixture for another 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cool to room temperature before storing in an air-tight container.
Makes 8 cups (2L).

1/2 cup Hemp Nuggets™
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. Prairie Emerald™ hemp seed oil
2 tbsp. fruity olive oil
Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
Clean and dry basil.
Chop in food processor.
Add hulled hemp seeds, cheese, garlic, hemp oil and 1 tbsp. olive oil.
Process in short bursts until you like the consistency.
Add the rest of the olive oil optionally, depending on preferred taste.
Add salt and pepper.
Makes abut 1 1/2 cups.
Serve over hot pasta.

1/2 cup water at room temperature
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 cup Hemp Nuggets™
2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup flour, buckwheat or chickpea
1/4 cup sunflower oil
3 tbsp. chopped garlic
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Cook rice in advance so that it has time to cool.
Mix flax and water in small bowl - set aside while mixing everything else.
Mix all other ingredients.
Mix in flax and blend well.
Chill for at least 15 minutes.
Form into patties.
Cook in skillet or on the BBQ.
Makes about 12 patties

Ian, I think you left out the lye. I have grave reservations that any of those will saponify correctly. :D

Latest posts

Back