Hemp Q? and expiration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at a body butter/whipped shea. After using hemp in a soap, it is my new fav! :D

With hemp's short shelf life, I keep it in the fridge. Is my best bet to make a tiny batch and keep to the expiration date when using the butter/whip? I believe my hemp expires in December. At this point, I don't have any preservatives on hand.

Thanks!

SimplyE said:
I am trying my hand at a body butter/whipped shea. After using hemp in a soap, it is my new fav! :D

With hemp's short shelf life, I keep it in the fridge. Is my best bet to make a tiny batch and keep to the expiration date when using the butter/whip? I believe my hemp expires in December. At this point, I don't have any preservatives on hand.

Thanks!

Yep. I'd just keep doing small batches for personal use. You'll know when the hemp goes rancid. It will smell bad.

Just an FYI. You can't preserve an oil or butter. You can extend it's shelf-life with an antioxident like Tocopherol T-50.

I do LOVE my hemp/shea butter! I should have not problem using it myself! I have purchased some T-50 for future use. Thanks again.

If you add the T-50, would the expiration date (for selling) still be the date of the hemp oil?

Digit

digit said:
If you add the T-50, would the expiration date (for selling) still be the date of the hemp oil?

Digit

I should think you can extend the date, but you'd have to have done some testing to know just how far out you can extend it. I don't have any hemp oil, so haven't tested it yet.

Paul, one of our mods, has extended the shelf-life of hemp oil with T-50. If he reads this thread, maybe he can offer some more info.

mandolyn said:
I should think you can extend the date, but you'd have to have done some testing to know just how far out you can extend it.
Thanks Mandolyn. I was thinking I should know the exact (as close as I can) date of the hemp oil in a product and send out maybe 2 of the same product with different aged hemp for stress testing.

Digit

Latest posts

Back