Expired shea butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's Kit

Reaction score
Hello! I want to start off by thanking everyone on here! You guys are absolutely amazing and so supportive.
I have a friend who makes bath bombs that has been helping me out with finding groups on Facebook and websites that whole sale less common ingredients. She told me she has a decent amount of expired butters, mostly shea, that I can have to make practice batches to test different formulas with so I am not wasting money on failed batches. My question is, would this be OK to do? I would not be giving these soaps away and not using and fragrance or colorants. Just for learning how to properly soap with butters. I know expired oils and butters can cause DOS from what I read, but should it still be alright to use to get a feel of melting them properly and saponifying? I'd really love to save some money and not mess up good butters if I can help it!

Do the butters smell OK? Making small-one pound batches can prevent a waste of good oils/fats. I keep my butters either refrigerated or frozen to prolong shelf life.

Do the butters smell OK? Making small-one pound batches can prevent a waste of good oils/fats. I keep my butters either refrigerated or frozen to prolong shelf life.
I believe they smell OK. I haven't picked them up from her yet. I was planning on having my fiance stop by tomorrow or Tuesday to grab them since I have a fragrance oil to give her that I don't like lol

Latest posts

Back