Hemp Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve made this recipe many times. Honey & Hemp Just to note, this is the only soap that I’ve used Hemp oil or Jojoba oil in and it is also the one soap that I always get DOS on. I don’t know if it’s the honey or one of the oils. I just threw out 4 bars yesterday that I found in my soap closet from a year ago… covered in DOS. I do like the soap though, it is a very moisturizing creamy bubbly soap. And I made it again a couple weeks ago with a lower SF seeing if that would help. If not I will just enjoy it while it lasts. But we will see!
Also, the post has titled the soap as a shampoo bar, I have never used it as such. After some unpleasant experiences myself, I personally would not recommend using CP soap to wash one’s hair. Good luck in your search!

Hemp is very prone to dos.
Hemp oil has a very short shelf life and decent amounts of both Linoleic and Linolenic FA’s. Good label appeal for the crunchy patchouli loving demographic though.
I figured it was the hemp oil, which is why I ordered ROE before I made it, but then forgot that I ordered it and found it after the soap the soap was made! Oh Well! Maybe next time....

If you're looking for the benefits of using hemp oil on the skin, you might be better off looking at a lotion or a balm of some sort. Soap is a wash off product, so that limits what benefits certain things can have, and also the oils are saponified which often changes them completely. Example being coconut oil which is great for the skin (if somewhat greasy and heavy at times) but when saponified it is totally the opposite.

I’ve made this recipe many times. Honey & Hemp
Um, I put that recipe into SoapCalc and, to my mind at least, it's not a good one for Newbies. :(
have a good supply of locally grown hemp oil (farmer next door) and would like to try adding some to the soap.
That's terrific! Lucky you! But first, there's a learning curve to making CP. Please read: Advice to Beginners

Lovin' Soap Studio's Beginner's Guide to Making CP

If you're looking for the benefits of using hemp oil on the skin, you might be better off looking at a lotion or a balm of some sort.
:thumbs: I agree. You might want to browse Etsy shops for hemp oil products to see what all is out there and what sells well. 😉

Last edited:
Um, I put that recipe into SoapCalc and, to my mind at least, it's not a good one for Newbies. :(

That's terrific! Lucky you! But first, there's a learning curve to making CP. Please read: Advice to Beginners

Lovin' Soap Studio's Beginner's Guide to Making CP

:thumbs: I agree. You might want to browse Etsy shops for hemp oil products to see what all is out there and what sells well. 😉
I have made some basic CP a few times, and my desire to add hemp seed oil is to promote local products. I am not looking to make a batch that is predominantly hemp, just to add a touch so it is in there. I just lack the vast experience that so many here have and thought there might be blends that favor such an attempt.

The only thing I've used hemp oil for Liquid Soap.
This Dr Bronner's "Copy Cat" is similar:
https://thethingswellmake.com/make-multipurpose-liquid-castile-soap-dr-bronners-copycat-recipe/If interested in making Liquid Soap, you can use more hemp than that recipe has and take an equal amount out of the coconut oil.
my desire to add hemp seed oil is to promote local products.
Good for you! :thumbs: 😉

I've been thinking about what else you can make besides CP. Lip balms are popular this time of year and fairlly easy to make.

Hemp Lip Balm Recipe

Last edited:
In addition to my response in your intro thread, I have this to add:

My suggestion is to use Hemp at low percentage, say around 10% in any recipe you choose. And don't use any other short-shelf-life oils in that recipe. Add ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) to the oil as soon as you open the container. If you don't know about ROE, here's a link with enough detail to get you started.

Just to see what it does when Hemp oils is in high percentage, IF you are interested in finding that out, make a really small batch with a high percentage of Hemp oil as a 'control' to compare what happens with a lot of hemp oil.

I haven't made soap with hemp in a few years, and before I started saving soap formulas onto this computer and before I started using soapee.com and before Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator were available to me, so all I have are my handwritten soap books as reference. (Soapcalc used to allow saving recipes, but if I save it there, it's gone now.) I made several soaps using only 10% hemp in Dec. 2017, starting with a soy wax version. I'll list the recipes (in a general way because there were some variations as I began to run out of oils):

Hemp Soap variants:

2% SF - 33% Lye Concentration - Masterbatch lye solution + vinegar to harden (link how to use vinegar)

30% Soy Wax or Lard or Cocoa Butter or Shea or Red Palm Oil
20% HO Sunflower or OO
20% Rice Bran Oil
17% Coconut Oil
10% Hemp
3% Castor or other soft oil once I ran out of Castor

Also added:
ROE + Chelator
Fragrance
Micas for color swirls

As I ran low on certain oils, I altered the percentages to accommodate, but kept the Hemp at 10% until the last one, when I only had enough for 5% hemp. That one was also 68.5% Lard, the highest percentage of lard I have used. I called it Purple Piggy soap. I don't use lard soap, but my family does, so I make it for them.

Only one of these soaps ended up with DOS, but it took about 4 years to really show, which I do not attribute to the Hemp oil, but it was one of the variants where I had to mix & match oils to come up to 100% when using up bottles with leftover oils. It had 5.2 grams of Apricot Kernel oil, which was past its best used by date before I made the soap. It was probably already oxidizing enough to carry through to the soap, although I don't recall if I even sniffed it to evaluate for rancidity. It also had 30% Shea, but I have not had any of my other shea soaps go rancid, so I doubt it was the shea.

Each of the soaps that were true to the 30/20/20/17/10/3 percentages turned out okay, with the only one I didn't like being the one with Red Palm Oil. I don't like how red palm oil smells in soap, even after cure.

However, if I were to do this today without having to skimp on any oils, I'd change the formula to include MORE hard oils. Something like this:

50 - 65% hard oils (combinations of Soy Wax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Palm, Lard, etc)
15 - 17% Coconut Oil (I prefer 15% for my own skin)
10% Hemp
3 - 5% Castor
20% Avocado Oil (or another soft oil if I did not have Avocado)

2 - 3% SF - 33% Lye Concentration - add sugar to boost bubbles
ROE + Chelator & Fragrance of choice
Colorants for swirls

In addition to my response in your intro thread, I have this to add:

My suggestion is to use Hemp at low percentage, say around 10% in any recipe you choose. And don't use any other short-shelf-life oils in that recipe. Add ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) to the oil as soon as you open the container. If you don't know about ROE, here's a link with enough detail to get you started.

Just to see what it does when Hemp oils is in high percentage, IF you are interested in finding that out, make a really small batch with a high percentage of Hemp oil as a 'control' to compare what happens with a lot of hemp oil.

I haven't made soap with hemp in a few years, and before I started saving soap formulas onto this computer and before I started using soapee.com and before Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator were available to me, so all I have are my handwritten soap books as reference. (Soapcalc used to allow saving recipes, but if I save it there, it's gone now.) I made several soaps using only 10% hemp in Dec. 2017, starting with a soy wax version. I'll list the recipes (in a general way because there were some variations as I began to run out of oils):

Hemp Soap variants:

2% SF - 33% Lye Concentration - Masterbatch lye solution + vinegar to harden (link how to use vinegar)

30% Soy Wax or Lard or Cocoa Butter or Shea or Red Palm Oil
20% HO Sunflower or OO
20% Rice Bran Oil
17% Coconut Oil
10% Hemp
3% Castor or other soft oil once I ran out of Castor

Also added:
ROE + Chelator
Fragrance
Micas for color swirls

As I ran low on certain oils, I altered the percentages to accommodate, but kept the Hemp at 10% until the last one, when I only had enough for 5% hemp. That one was also 68.5% Lard, the highest percentage of lard I have used. I called it Purple Piggy soap. I don't use lard soap, but my family does, so I make it for them.

Only one of these soaps ended up with DOS, but it took about 4 years to really show, which I do not attribute to the Hemp oil, but it was one of the variants where I had to mix & match oils to come up to 100% when using up bottles with leftover oils. It had 5.2 grams of Apricot Kernel oil, which was past its best used by date before I made the soap. It was probably already oxidizing enough to carry through to the soap, although I don't recall if I even sniffed it to evaluate for rancidity. It also had 30% Shea, but I have not had any of my other shea soaps go rancid, so I doubt it was the shea.

Each of the soaps that were true to the 30/20/20/17/10/3 percentages turned out okay, with the only one I didn't like being the one with Red Palm Oil. I don't like how red palm oil smells in soap, even after cure.

However, if I were to do this today without having to skimp on any oils, I'd change the formula to include MORE hard oils. Something like this:

50 - 65% hard oils (combinations of Soy Wax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Palm, Lard, etc)
15 - 17% Coconut Oil (I prefer 15% for my own skin)
10% Hemp
3 - 5% Castor
20% Avocado Oil (or another soft oil if I did not have Avocado)

2 - 3% SF - 33% Lye Concentration - add sugar to boost bubbles
ROE + Chelator & Fragrance of choice
Colorants for swirls
Would you think this would work ?
10% shea butter
45% palm oil
17% coconut oil
8% hemp
5% castor oil
10% avocado oil

Or

25% coconut oil