Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Ann

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me?? I made my first batch of CP soap yesterday. It turned out nice but has a darker circle in the middle. Why? What did I do wrong??

Attachments

• 15884542908586445562671008753952.jpg
    15884542908586445562671008753952.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 19
It will probably go away. Other people will probably will be able to explain this better.
But it takes time for your batch to turn completely into soap, the outside will change a bit faster because of the contact with air.
From what I know this is normal with soap.

It sounds to me like a partial gel. The middle gets hotter faster than the outside. When mine do that the circle doesn't go away though because it gelled the color gets more vibrant. The part that doesn't gel is more pastel or matte colored in mine

What did I do to cause this? Thanx
It is generally caused by the outside of the soap remaining cooler than the inside. Some recipes heat up more than others, so based on the recipe your soap can be more or less prone to this. Some people use a very lightly pre-warmed oven (CPOP) or heating pad etc. to avoid partial gel, for me usually a blanket is enough or just the oven light turned on.
But it is really just a cosmetic issue, your soap seems to be fine and safe to use (but make sure to zap test it).

Thank you so much, I am very OCD so it's going to drive me crazy, but as long as it's ok I guess it wasn't a total failure. It was a lot of fun. I cant wait to make more! I appreciate everyone's help :)

Hi, can anyone help me?? I made my first batch of CP soap yesterday. It turned out nice but has a darker circle in the middle. Why? What did I do wrong??
It's fine. No cause for worry. It's part of the gelling process.

My Avocado and Spearmint EO soap gelled in the middle for years--it was always dark. I finally researched how to get rid of the darker color--I found the solution on the Soap Queen from Brambleberry.

I started heating up our oven to just under 200 degrees and shut it off before placing my just-poured soap with a piece of plastic wrap over it into the oven. I left it that way over night and voila, it was perfect with no dark inner color. Now I do this all the time. I use silicone molds so this makes it easy.

Sometimes the plastic wrap would interfere with design on top if the newly poured soap was too close to the top and it wouldn't look the way it was supposed to. My solution was to place another silicone mold over it so that it rested on the sides before placing it in the oven and it turned out perfectly!

There is a process @DeeAnna shares called Oven Rescue Processing. Try it, see how it goes.
https://classicbells.com/soap/rescueOP.asp
It helped to fade the bullseye in some soap I had, but didn't entirely clear up the bullseye. Still, the soap looked much better.

Since then I've been following the CPOP process as described by @75chair above, and have not had an issue with bullseyes.

Back