help...what is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walli

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been making soap for about a year and I recently started getting alligator look to my soap. Does anyone know why or how this is happening?
lavsoap.jpg

By walli1976 at 2011-04-27

i don't know why you are getting that, but it looks really cool! (are you using titanium dioxide?)

I just purchased coconut oil for the first time and that's what it looks like in the jar!

Darn soap gremlins. They have been visiting me a lot lately too. This looks like it might be overheating. It has happened to me a couple of times lately and it was in batches that overheated.

Reminds me of when your in a swimming pool, and the light is shining down on the water creating these... light ripples or something lol. It looks awesome. Sorry... I'm not much help about why it occurred, just wanted to mention how cool it looks. :D

Yes the crackle effect!!! I get that sometimes and I haven't been able to figure out why, it's so annoying. Yours looks cool though.

Nancy, where do you you think the overheating is occurring? Is this because the base oil or lye is to hot. I pour the soap into plastic molds and the soap is placed in a heated room with insulation around the mold.

I used to get something that looks like this, too. I affectionately called it "alien brain texture." Alligator sounds much nicer. :) I think it might be a partial (but very nice) gel. Once I started insulating, I got a full gel and it hasn't shown up since.

I had something similar the one time I sprayed alcohol over the top to avoid ash.

I've had this 'crackle' effect a couple of times too. The first time I hadn't used TD, so I don't think that's a factor. And the last time it happened it didn't go out completely to the ends of the mold (kind of like partial gel) and I use a wooden log mold. So, I'm assuming that it is caused by overheating also. But like others have said, your soap does look pretty cool. :)

It's happened to me when I got a really hot and liquid gel and I moved the oven tray and disturbed the soap and got crackles. It may have been starting to cool down at that point but I'm not sure. Just know that I saw the soap move within the moulds. :wink:

Latest posts

Back