Help!! Spots on soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along with what @artemis shared:

1. That isn't DOS (dreaded orange spots), which, as the name indicates, tend to be orange spots on the surface that develop over time, not immediately.

2. Without knowing your full recipe and process, my best guess is that your "vanilla EO" didn't get fully mixed into the soap.

3. There is no such thing as vanilla essential oil; that doesn't exist. The product you used was probably a vanilla oleoresin at best, but given that the seller apparently was willing to mislead/lie about the product, it's anyone's guess as to what was actually in that product. Any EO that is used should come from a reputable supplier, and be marked as suitable for cold process soap (many are only suitable for melt and pour soap).

The good news is that it looks like you made a pretty small batch, which is smart when you are testing new ingredients. You will probably need to shred this and rebatch it, since you don't want concentrated fragrances in touch with your skin. :)

Along with what @artemis shared:

1. That isn't DOS (dreaded orange spots), which, as the name indicates, tend to be orange spots on the surface that develop over time, not immediately.

2. Without knowing your full recipe and process, my best guess is that your "vanilla EO" didn't get fully mixed into the soap.

3. There is no such thing as vanilla essential oil; that doesn't exist. The product you used was probably a vanilla oleoresin at best, but given that the seller apparently was willing to mislead/lie about the product, it's anyone's guess as to what was actually in that product. Any EO that is used should come from a reputable supplier, and be marked as suitable for cold process soap (many are only suitable for melt and pour soap).

The good news is that it looks like you made a pretty small batch, which is smart when you are testing new ingredients. You will probably need to shred this and rebatch it, since you don't want concentrated fragrances in touch with your skin. :)
Agreed - I think this is something to do with the "vanilla EO".

Latest posts

Back