Help please. In liquid soap recipe..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhagyalakshmy

Reaction score
I have made solid soap but this is the first time I have made liquid soap. This was a 50% olive oil 30% coconut oil, 15% Shea butter and 5% castor oil recipe. I used koh flakes dissolved in equal amount of water and then added glycerin. Started stick blending. This is the result I got after 30 minutes. Is this okay. It’s a thick paste. Just now I covered it. What should I do now please? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 24643B58-E03D-4C80-99FD-8481B4A37FD6.jpeg
    24643B58-E03D-4C80-99FD-8481B4A37FD6.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 11
That looks good to me. If it were my soap, I would let the paste sit for 12 to 24 hours at room temperature to finish saponifying.

Then I would cautiously test for zap. Zap test method: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-safely-conduct-the-zap-tongue-test.63199/

If the soap has no zap, I would dilute a portion or all of the paste starting with 1 part paste to 1/2 part water. Follow the method of dilution explained by Susie in this thread:
Susie: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49852

Thank you. First, I tried dissolving koh in glycerin on stove top. And it solidified. What did I do wrong please? And how do I clean it. It’s stuck on the pot

I don't ever use the method of dissolving KOH in hot glycerin, and I strongly discourage anyone else from doing this.

Far too many inexperienced people get into trouble, as you have. It is an unnecessarily hazardous method to use even if done correctly. If not done correctly, the mixture will decompose and create toxic chemicals. And I have yet to see anyone explain the benefits of this method, compared to safer room-temperature methods of dissolving the KOH.

I always recommend dissolving the KOH in an equal weight of water at room temperature. Do NOT use heat -- heating is not necessary. After the KOH is dissolved in water, add sufficient extra water or glycerin or both to make up the total amount of water required for the recipe.

I have no idea what you did wrong with the KOH-glycerin mixture. You haven't given any details. But that doesn't matter -- just get the problem fixed and then don't do this anymore. One possible solution to the problem -- Have you tried adding some water to the KOH-glycerin mixture to see if that will dissolve the mess? Wear eye and personal protection if you do this. I have no idea what might happen.

It came out perfect. Thank you.

The other one which dried up. Even after pouring water, it refused to come out of the pot. It’s not dissolving. I have to see how to safely dispose off the vessel with its contents.

I am glad your next batch turned out well. Good for you!

I wish I had some good advice about the pot with the KOH and glycerin in it. I don't have any, unfortunately.

It’s okay. Thank you.

After a couple of washes I think my hands have become dry. May be because I washed three or four times. If not I will try adding some oil with PS80 while diluting next time

Back