Help me save/use this batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyers

Reaction score
OK, I made a batch of soap a while ago, it wasn't a complete disaster, but it definitely isn't right.

I am 99.9% sure this one was too much oil: it was a 1lb batch, and I used extra oil to mix the activated charcoal. It turned out soft. Weeks later, it is still moldable, like clay (not quite like playdoh, but definitely squishy).

So, since I don't know exactly how much extra oil I added, I can't rebatch with more lye.

BUT, can I shred it up and use in a regular batch as confetti? If I go with a tried and true recipe (well, as much as that can be with my experience level - I have one recipe that I like enough to have tried it several times with a minor tweak each time), will that be enough to make up for the wackiness of the extra oil in the initial batch?

I haven't the heart to throw it out. I'd really like to find a way to actually use the soap. And it stinks because it was my first batch with inclusions. Guess I'll just have to try that one again, another time.

I'm with Irish on this. If you're absolutely sure it's way short on lye. Just drop your next batch of soap's SF down a couple of notches and mix the shredded soap in. I think you'll be ok. Unless you try it and it turns out horrible, then just ignore this advice. :cool:

Or you can make small balls and put them inside a new soap or fine tubes or other shapes. I wouldn't throw it away either, especially if it's already colored!

I agree witht the other suggestions. Either shred it or make balls out of it and use as embeds. Just how much extra oil did you add to mix your colorant? A little bit shouldn't be enough difference make yor soap soft after a good cure. Going forward just use a bit of the oils from your batch to mix your colorants.

^What they said. I would also use it to kick start liquid soap, but that is just me. I have made many batches of confetti soap to use up less than perfect recipes. I prefer that to rebatching.

Just how much extra oil did you add to mix your colorant? A little bit shouldn't be enough difference make yor soap soft after a good cure. Going forward just use a bit of the oils from your batch to mix your colorants.

It was about a tablespoon, but it was a 1lb batch. Somewhere (I think it was around here somewhere) it was suggested that that amount of extra oil in such a small batch could make a huge difference.

Since that problem, I have been just pulling a bit of the oils after I measure. (duh, why didn't I think of that? Well, I was working from a kit, and following their directions, but whatever. Live and LEARN!) Everything has gone swimmingly since! My last few batches have behaved exactly the way I told them to!

Thanks everyone for reinforcing my idea of being able to use this one.

Latest posts

Back