Help for a newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aretha

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I ran across this forum while trying to find answers to a problem so any help you could provide would be most welcome. TIA

My dd has to create a business for a school project and then set up a booth at the schools fall festival to sell her product. She wanted to make soaps with little cars etc inside. So we went to the craft store bought glycerin base, molds, scent and this what I thought was a neat funnel shaped soap melter.

The soap melter worked the first time then the stopper got clogged up with soap and all the melted soap just ran out. So we tried the double boiler method. The bars we poured from the db are full of airbubbles and the soap forms a scum on the db and the tops of the soap molds are unattractive at best.

Any advice on what we are doing wrong? Are we just not getting the soap hot enough before we try to move on?

Hi! Sounds like a fun project!

I just learned the answer to your question myself. Seems that if you mist the newly poured soap with alcohol it will release the air bubbles and make super clear soap. Mist the embeds, the things you are putting in the soap, also. It really does help with adhesion.

Have fun! Post pictures!

My dh loves glycerin soap, so I have made a lot of it for him. I use the 4c. Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. I cut the soap into chunks and microwave according to directions. Don't overheat it. Stir slowly to help dissolve the last stubborn bits. Add fragrance and color, stirring well, but slowly. I use a spoon to scoop off as many of the tiny bubbles as I can before pouring. Pour slowly into your molds. Any bubbles that are left should float to the side of the mold and you can trim the off after the soap has setup.

Latest posts

Back