Hello from Warm, Sunny Arizona

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie Gator

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a total soap making newbie from the Phoenix area, which means we are far enough outside of Phoenix to have sheep, alpacas and chickens but within a 90 minute driving distance of the airport :)

I am very new to the art of soap making. I started thinking about it after doing some felted soap with the wool from our sheep. I kept thinking about it and I thought it would be fun to make the soap that I felted! Then, I thought about my hubby (who is a vegan) and thought it would also be great to make soaps for him with no dye, no fragrance and no animal products in the soap. So, I started reading everything I could get my hot little hands on and yesterday I made my first two "mini-batches". One recipe came out great and the other one was "meh".

I love making soap in the 1 lb. "mini-batches" to see if I like the recipe and to see if it is something that I want to continue doing. I would like to get to the point where I have developed a recipe that is good for the skin out here in the desert and works well for being felted.

My other loves are brewing (both beers and meads), spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, dyeing and sewing. I finally have my Caramel Amber Ale recipe perfected and I am loving the results :)

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome! My oldest son is at ASU, he loves the area.

Hi Laurie -

Welcome to the forum! :D

Sounds like you're a very busy person. I think it's great that you brew your own beer. You'll have plenty when you start making beer soap. :wink:

Don't give up on your "meh" soap. It takes at least 4 weeks for soap to cure and they get milder and better. I made a batch which I thought was terrible but after a 3 month cure, it became wonderful. So, you never know how time will affect soap.

There's recently been discussions about making soaps more moisturizing/conditioning. If you check in the CP forum, you'll see them and it will help to give you a starting point on your soap for desert skin. :D

Latest posts

Back