Hello from the Soap Lab!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sedge

Reaction score
I've been a lurker for a while now and thought I should probably register. I keep wanting to chime in on threads and ask questions so... now I can :thumbup:

I went to school for biology major/chem minor and work in a university teaching lab. I'm working on my masters in biology also. In my spare time I bake and make soap. I've been cold process soaping for about two years now. I used to craft with melt and pour but since I started CPing I haven't done as much with M&P. I've made salves, but I've never tried liquid soaps, clear soaps, lotions, bath bombs or anything like that so I'm really looking forward to trying that in the future.

I have a kind of... lab approach to making soap. I've inherited old lab equipment over the years when we've upgraded (magnetic stir hotplates and water baths) and bought some also (beakers, stir bars, etc...) for making soap. I find a hot plate with stir bar works really great in melting oils and a magnetic stirrer is great for mixing the NaOH and water baths are great for getting the solutions to the same temperature. I'm really curious about the chemistry behind to process and why some oils have moisturizing properties while others are drying or have better bubbles.

Anyway, I look forward to being more active and being able to ask questions and learn from you all! :mrgreen:

-Sedge

Hi there!
Welcome! Nice education for soap making that you have. Lucky... ;) My sister is a BioChem Ph.D. and I am constantly picking her brain. lol! Have fun!

LA

Let me know how that balancing act works for you! I just registered for summer classes to begin my Master's in Behavioral Therapy! Nervous about working full time, school, and doing crafts! Lol! I don't want to put it on the back burner! I love to bake as well!

Welcome! I will be going back to school in fall hopefully for a Chem major. I agree with smee though, with a science major what spare time could you have? ;-) Welcome again, send us pics of your setup, I bet it's neat.

There is always time for soaping! Even with studying you need down time, soaping and baking sounds great and welcome.

Welcome Sedge, always nice to have people join the community! You must be very busy between working on your degree and making soap!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm working on the MS slowly and doing a non-thesis option since I am working at the same time. Still, I'm really only able to make soap on the weekends. I hope to take pictures of my newest soap and "soap lab" later today and post them. One of the things I'd like to do once I try lotions is test the different preservatives. I maintain a collection of bacteria and molds at work so I could really do some good challenge tests. I tested the store bought lotion I kept on my desk a few months ago and it was pretty gross. It was filled with gram negative rods :Kitten Love:. I tested both the pump and inside the bottle and they were everywhere.

~Sedge

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm working on the MS slowly and doing a non-thesis option since I am working at the same time. Still, I'm really only able to make soap on the weekends. I hope to take pictures of my newest soap and "soap lab" later today and post them. One of the things I'd like to do once I try lotions is test the different preservatives. I maintain a collection of bacteria and molds at work so I could really do some good challenge tests. I tested the store bought lotion I kept on my desk a few months ago and it was pretty gross. It was filled with gram negative rods :Kitten Love:. I tested both the pump and inside the bottle and they were everywhere.

~Sedge
That is so cool! Microbiology was a favorite class of mine..but I'm not sciency enough for chemestry and such! I'm looking forward to your research findings! What brand of lotion did you test? I would want to collect samples from my soaps and lotion bars too! Lol...not giving you any more ideas or anything! :shh:

That is so cool! Microbiology was a favorite class of mine..but I'm not sciency enough for chemestry and such! I'm looking forward to your research findings! What brand of lotion did you test? I would want to collect samples from my soaps and lotion bars too! Lol...not giving you any more ideas or anything! :shh:

It was from a Christmas gift basket- I think it was like Zen Bath or something? I threw it away after I saw the gram stain but I wish I wouldn't have. It would have been neat to post the ingredients and see what kind of preservative they were using. It wasn't from a major bath and body store or anything. I think I got it from Wal*Mart or Target after the gift baskets went on sale.

Edited to Add: You would be surprised how much microbiology you can do at home! If you have a pressure cooker you can sterilize glassware and media. Powdered media mixes are available from Carolina Biological and Cynmar (I think) and you can flame a loop in a gas stove jet or buy a portable alcohol flame inexpensively. They sell re-usable glass petri dishes or you can buy sterile disposable ones. I've even seen cheap used autoclaves at university salvage. Though autoclaves scare me to be honest and I don't think I would buy or recommend anyone to buy a used one. Pressure canners would work okay. You can also buy pre-poured plates but they are pretty expensive.

Edited to add again:

Carolina has a kit to test the effectiveness of antimicrobial hand soap that is not too bad http://www.carolina.com/bacteria/ha...t=&ssCat=&question=microbiology+environmental It could probably be used to test any lotion or soap and it contains everything that is needed so there is no need to worry about sterilizing media or loops:

What's included:
Bottles Nutrient Agar 3 Included
Tubes Nutrient Broth 15 Included
Alcohol Preps 15 Included
Differently Colored Paper Disks 30 Included
Sterile Petri Dishes 15 Included
Pairs Forceps 5 Included
Pkgs Sterile Applicator Sticks 10 Included
Autoclave Disposal Bag Included
Teacher Instructions Included
Soaps to be Tested Needed, Not included

Okay sorry that is a bigger response than was necessary! I am such a nerd about this stuff LOL!

Last edited:
Back