Hello from northern NY (I'm new to all of this)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susies1955

Reaction score
I'm brand new to soaping. SO new that I haven't tried it yet. My husband is laid off now for some time so I'm waiting for Christmas to get an immersion blender and a soap making book. I have to get some lye and of course stock up on the oils and such. I have the gloves and safety glasses.
I have had MANY hobbies over the years such as macrame, hand and machine knitting, machine embroidery, purse making, fabric bowls, quilting, nail art design, scrapbooking and reading. :)
We are selling our home and want to go into a 'small' house in the woods so I have gotten rid of everything except my quilting and nail art stuff and have added soap making.
My husband just made me a soap mold. It is 18" by 3 1/2" and I took some of my quilting template material and made a liner. I hope it works. He also made a board to add into the box if I want to make smaller loaves.
I've added photos.
Hope to learn a lot from all of you.
Susie

100_3199.jpg

100_3201.jpg

100_3203.jpg

100_3198.jpg

Welcome! While you're waiting to buy that soap making book you can read through the archived posts here and learn a great deal.

Thrift shops and ebay are great places to pick up stick blenders cheaply. A good digital scale will only set you back about $20 on Amazon or at Walmart.

Good luck and enjoy! Ask questions if you need to.

Hello and welcome! I'm a newbie, too. I don't know what made me choose this website as the place to go for help and support, but I haven't looked back. You're going to love this place!

Manda, Thanks for the compliment on the soap mold.

Judy, yes I will read the forum. I actually already have the scales for mailing out ebay stuff. It has the TARE feature too.

Kikajess, thanks. I'm glad I found this forum too. :)

Hi Susie,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

You're lucky to have a husband who's able to make your molds. That will come in handy (no pun intended) if you ever decide you want to play with slab or vertical molds. Also, that's a clever idea to use a quilting template for a liner. Thanks for sharing it! :grin:

Welcome! That's cool how the liner will just pull out. I don't know anything about quilting templates. What is it made of? It looks fairly rigid and durable -- is it just taped together on the ends so that all you would do to unmold is remove the tape?

I got the Quilting Template from Joann's. It is just a heavy sheet of plastic.I think they come in various sizes and thicknesses. I'm going to see if I can find a longer one so the ends are attached AFTER I try this to see how it comes out.
I'm hoping I don't have to remove the tape and that it will just slide out but I don't know if it will or not.
I just looked on line and I don't think they come any longer than 18".
Susie

Welcome! That's cool how the liner will just pull out. I don't know anything about quilting templates. What is it made of? It looks fairly rigid and durable -- is it just taped together on the ends so that all you would do to unmold is remove the tape?

Latest posts

Back