Hello from (finally summer in) Alaska!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskazimm

Reaction score
Good afternoon from Western Alaska where the sun is out and summer has gotten around to being here.

I started traditional wet shaving about 7 months ago and ran into several artisan soap makers. Their shaving soap offerings are often far ahead of big name soap/cream makers; plus you can pronounce the ingredients :p Two of our kids have dry skin and the lotions and creams from the store aren't helping much.

All that has gotten me thinking of trying my hand at soap making and trying a more natural approach. This is a first for me and so far I like the community here and am looking forward to learning more. So off the bat:

- Does anyone have knowledge of soap making suppliers in Anchorage? Shipping to AK is killer and I like to help in state business.
- I need a simple, first-timer-proof soap recepie. As mentioned ingredients can be expensive and I can't afford to practice for 2 or 3 batches to get a usable soap.
- Would a shampoo bar be beginner friendly?

Thank you

Good afternoon from Western Alaska where the sun is out and summer has gotten around to being here.

I started traditional wet shaving about 7 months ago and ran into several artisan soap makers. Their shaving soap offerings are often far ahead of big name soap/cream makers; plus you can pronounce the ingredients :p Two of our kids have dry skin and the lotions and creams from the store aren't helping much.

All that has gotten me thinking of trying my hand at soap making and trying a more natural approach. This is a first for me and so far I like the community here and am looking forward to learning more. So off the bat:

- Does anyone have knowledge of soap making suppliers in Anchorage? Shipping to AK is killer and I like to help in state business.
- I need a simple, first-timer-proof soap recepie. As mentioned ingredients can be expensive and I can't afford to practice for 2 or 3 batches to get a usable soap.
- Would a shampoo bar be beginner friendly?

Thank you

you can make small batch's of soap

one I heard of is Alaska naturals don't now much about them.
http://aknaturals.com/soapstuff.htm

I would try some "grocery store" soaps.(look on-line for recipes). The recipes have oils that you can buy at your local store and you can become comfortable with working with lye. My first batch I made in a quart milk container. Be careful...you will become addicted!

Thanks for the tips and links. With a bit more looking around the net I found that Soap Making Resource had reasonable shipping to AK so I went with that. Also Essential Depot had free shipping on the sodium hydroxide. Now the wait begins.

Latest posts

Back