Hello From the Big Lake in Florida!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello From Okeechobee, Fl. The big lake in the middle of the state.

I don't remember the exact order of events that led me to handmade soap making, because it has been a researching frenzy since then! I do know I had found a decent commercial soap, from a hotel of all places. I searched to see where I could get full size bars, but it seems that particular bar is mostly made for hotels, with retail versions being hard to come by.

The next part was either wondering about making our own soap, or buying a "Shea Moisture" brand bar to see how good a "nicer" bar actually was. Wow, such a night and day difference to a regular store detergent bar. Whichever order it happened, those 2 events led to an awesome journey of learning a whole new craft.

My girlfriend and I have been wracking our brains for years, trying to find something we could do in retirement as a hobby, that could also be a supplement to our income. She has tried many MLM companies in the past to no avail. About 3 years ago I found my thing, to be a maker/creator of things, by taking raw materials and creating something. In my case it is handmade knives, hopefully pens and more. I had no idea such a thing could be done at home.. It opened my eyes to a whole new world. I told Ruth, my girlfriend, she needed to make something that she enjoyed making, and could make money in the process, instead of working for other people, helping them make their fortune.

So almost 2 months ago now, I found the awesome world of handmade soaps, and thought I had the answer, she could make soaps. She was on vacation in California at the time, visiting family. I decided to not mention it to her, just in case she got bit too. I wanted her to spend as much time with her family as possible, without a new distraction. So I jumped in headlong, fascinated by the seemingly endless possibilities. I figured I would get a head start and tell her when she got back.

When she got back from vacation I was excited to tell her about this new adventure, When I did, she said NO before I could even finish telling her about it. I was a bit devastated. She could see this, and later asked me to tell her more about it and that maybe she was hasty with her NO. Thankfully after I told her she was more receptive to the idea, and has since gotten the bug as well!!

We are now 3 batches in, hoping to squeeze in 2 more tomorrow. First batch was a pure Castile, and came out awesome. The other 2 were my own formulas with mixed oils and butters, and the 3rd with coconut milk. All have worked out great so far!

We are testing and sharing our soaps to get feedback at this point. We have picked a name for our new endeavor, It came naturally; "URth Soaps & More" URth being a play on Ruth's name , hence the reason for the 2 capital letters.

I hope my intro wasn't too long.. lol But I wanted to share the whole story!

Chris

Hi Chris! Welcome to your new addiction!! I'm fascinated by your making knives- they are so cool! And pen turning as well - I used to make hand bound leather journals, then got into cleaning products, and am now soaping up a storm for Christmas gifts- the soaping world is such a "slippery" slope, lol!

Welcome! Just a heads up, give yourself a year of testing and trials before jumping into selling-you want to make sure that your lovely soap doesn't turn orange and stink in three months (DOS) especially down here in Florida. Check into the cosmetic laws here, you can ONLY claim it cleans and is soap regardless of what you see others doing (legally). We are very restricted in Florida. You'll find that soaps made in the winter may cure differently than soaps made in the summer-I won't even bother making any in July/August unless its an emergency because I tend to have spoilage issues due to the high heat/humidity.

This hobby is addictive!

Welcome Chris :), dh has been making Custom Knives for a very long time. It is very expensive to get a return on your investment and come out on top. We use to have a shop, but no longer.

As for soap, every man and his dog wants to make money on soap, do a search and you'll see how many people are making soap, working for others and their fortune as you say, is so much easier, at least you get a wage.

Hello From Okeechobee, Fl. The big lake in the middle of the state.

I don't remember the exact order of events that led me to handmade soap making, because it has been a researching frenzy since then! I do know I had found a decent commercial soap, from a hotel of all places. I searched to see where I could get full size bars, but it seems that particular bar is mostly made for hotels, with retail versions being hard to come by.

The next part was either wondering about making our own soap, or buying a "Shea Moisture" brand bar to see how good a "nicer" bar actually was. Wow, such a night and day difference to a regular store detergent bar. Whichever order it happened, those 2 events led to an awesome journey of learning a whole new craft.

My girlfriend and I have been wracking our brains for years, trying to find something we could do in retirement as a hobby, that could also be a supplement to our income. She has tried many MLM companies in the past to no avail. About 3 years ago I found my thing, to be a maker/creator of things, by taking raw materials and creating something. In my case it is handmade knives, hopefully pens and more. I had no idea such a thing could be done at home.. It opened my eyes to a whole new world. I told Ruth, my girlfriend, she needed to make something that she enjoyed making, and could make money in the process, instead of working for other people, helping them make their fortune.

So almost 2 months ago now, I found the awesome world of handmade soaps, and thought I had the answer, she could make soaps. She was on vacation in California at the time, visiting family. I decided to not mention it to her, just in case she got bit too. I wanted her to spend as much time with her family as possible, without a new distraction. So I jumped in headlong, fascinated by the seemingly endless possibilities. I figured I would get a head start and tell her when she got back.

When she got back from vacation I was excited to tell her about this new adventure, When I did, she said NO before I could even finish telling her about it. I was a bit devastated. She could see this, and later asked me to tell her more about it and that maybe she was hasty with her NO. Thankfully after I told her she was more receptive to the idea, and has since gotten the bug as well!!

We are now 3 batches in, hoping to squeeze in 2 more tomorrow. First batch was a pure Castile, and came out awesome. The other 2 were my own formulas with mixed oils and butters, and the 3rd with coconut milk. All have worked out great so far!

We are testing and sharing our soaps to get feedback at this point. We have picked a name for our new endeavor, It came naturally; "URth Soaps & More" URth being a play on Ruth's name , hence the reason for the 2 capital letters.

I hope my intro wasn't too long.. lol But I wanted to share the whole story!

Chris
Hi Chris, I’m a little to the east of you in Port St Lucie. Soaping since 2015.

Welcome Chris!

About knives... I have a soaping buddy in AZ that only made $60 at her last farmer's market. Her DH (dear hubby), however, made $200!!! How? you ask... by sharpening knives! Every market they do, people stand in line and he always makes very good money -- he actually has some regular markets he does without her because she has to stay home and make more product usually. Something to think about. :cool:

Hi Chris! Welcome to your new addiction!! I'm fascinated by your making knives- they are so cool! And pen turning as well - I used to make hand bound leather journals, then got into cleaning products, and am now soaping up a storm for Christmas gifts- the soaping world is such a "slippery" slope, lol!
Thanks Loralei, haha, It is already an addiction for sure! I have so many ideas and things I want to try!
Making knives is a very rewarding hobby, It's hard work, but seeing the finished product is awesome every time for me. I have made about 30-ish knives and my last one was a folding pocket knife.

Last edited:
Welcome! Just a heads up, give yourself a year of testing and trials before jumping into selling-you want to make sure that your lovely soap doesn't turn orange and stink in three months (DOS) especially down here in Florida. Check into the cosmetic laws here, you can ONLY claim it cleans and is soap regardless of what you see others doing (legally). We are very restricted in Florida. You'll find that soaps made in the winter may cure differently than soaps made in the summer-I won't even bother making any in July/August unless its an emergency because I tend to have spoilage issues due to the high heat/humidity.

This hobby is addictive!
Thanks! definitely planning on a good deal of testing before we "open shop"
I'm aware of the very strict cosmetic labeling laws, it honestly surprises me how many people do make claims with soap, to me it's not worth catching the eye of the FDA.
Thanks for the heads up on some unique Florida issues!

Last edited:
Welcome Chris :), dh has been making Custom Knives for a very long time. It is very expensive to get a return on your investment and come out on top. We use to have a shop, but no longer.

As for soap, every man and his dog wants to make money on soap, do a search and you'll see how many people are making soap, working for others and their fortune as you say, is so much easier, at least you get a wage.
Yes, Knife making is definitely expensive to get into, I already have the equipment, my shop is temporarily down while I work on prepping a house to sell, but once that's done the shop will be setup in a dedicated space and I can get back to making. I do it as a hobby that I enjoy, and if it builds to something that I can make a little money on the side, that's great, if not, that's fine as well.

Yes, I have noticed a LOT of people making soap. We have the same approach here, do it as a hobby, and if we're able to make a little cash on the side, that's great, if not, that's ok too.

Welcome Chris!

About knives... I have a soaping buddy in AZ that only made $60 at her last farmer's market. Her DH (dear hubby), however, made $200!!! How? you ask... by sharpening knives! Every market they do, people stand in line and he always makes very good money -- he actually has some regular markets he does without her because she has to stay home and make more product usually. Something to think about. :cool:

Oh I have no intentions of stopping making knives! They are on hold for now while I am fixing up my old house to sell, but once that's done the knife shop is getting a dedicated space and I can get back in full swing there. The last knife I made a few months ago was my first folding pocket knife, It came out so awesome, and can't wait to get back to it.

Soaping has come along at a perfect time where I can absorb all this new info, and it is something my girl and I can do together. I love the science, and formulating part of it personally, as well as design. I make my own handle materials for some of my knives, and have gotten some new ideas watching soaper's designs.

Latest posts

Back