Hello from coastal Virginia

Discussion in 'The Introduction Forum' started by Mobjack Bay, Apr 19, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Apr 19, 2019 #1

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I decided it was time to stop lurking and join the community! You’re a talented, generous, friendly group of individuals and I’ve enjoyed learning from you and about you and your soaps!

I found the forum a few months ago when I decided to try my hand at making some body lotion. Next thing I knew, I was buying more oils to make soap. After a few batches of HP and scouring SMF and the internet I was brave enough to try a batch of CP. I’m getting close to a dozen batches now. Making soap is a wonderful combination of chemistry, artistry and what seems like a little magic. I LOVE that I can make a bar of soap that makes bubbles in my hard well water! When I’m making soap, the cares of the day just wash away!

As soon as I find the instructions, I will add a photo so you can see some of what I’ve made.

I’m probably going to stick with fairly simple soaps, with “natural” colorants like clays, coffee and spices and EOs for my scents, but don’t hold me to it!

And, a little bit about me... I’m a university administrator now, but for most of my career I was a marine ecologist, who mostly studied the Chesapeake Bay, but occasionally also travelled to wonderful places further afield. Unfortunately, I haven’t made it to Australia or the Great Barrier Reef (yet!). One of my soapmaking goals is to make a series of soaps that look attractive, while also capturing details of coastal ecosystems that are familiar to me and my scientist friends (truly a niche market!).

KiwiSoap and earlene like this.
  2. Apr 19, 2019 #2

bohunk

bohunk

bohunk

Hi there; I'm coastal Virginia also. Eastern Shore is my home. Which side of the bay are you on?

3. Apr 19, 2019 #3

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I’m on the other side, but have spent lots of time on the beautiful Eastern Shore!

4. Apr 19, 2019 #4

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

B529B0C8-94E5-4196-A164-1617315F56F0.jpeg

Here are some of the soaps I’ve made to date, from left to right:

Goat’s milk with lavender EO; Activated charcoal and sea salt added to a base recipe (Mottling was my intent); jagua and green clay added to a base recipe (attempted to get some layering, but still plenty to learn), Monoi de Tahiti and rose clay, “Bergamot Butter”; my very first HP from a basic recipe (front); a lard-based bar with a little green clay and a nice EO blend from the drugstore.

5. Apr 20, 2019 #5

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Welcome, Mobjack Bay! [​IMG]

IrishLass :)

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  6. Apr 20, 2019 #6

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

I love the dark blue bar, (It looks blue on my computer screen). Welcome to the forum.:)

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  7. Apr 20, 2019 #7

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Thank you! That’s the one that has fine activated charcoal (from BB) and salt mixed into the mid-grey layer.

8. Apr 20, 2019 #8

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Well done, Mobjack! Those don't look like "Newbie" soaps at all. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with as "details of coastal ecosystems". I'm intrigued. o_O
    Welcome.gif

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  9. Apr 20, 2019 #9

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin

Welcome Mobjack, :). We have a designated Photo Gallery you can post your next lot of Photos in.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2019 #10

bohunk

bohunk

bohunk

ES can be lovely but for the last several weeks we've been covered with a fine sheen of pollen. Even my grey cat gets covered with pollen if he sleeps in the open window. You're soaps look lovely; you're way more adventurous than I've ever been with soap.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  11. Apr 20, 2019 #11

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip!

12. Apr 20, 2019 #12

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Mobjack Bay. I love your history and the way you describe your plans for incorporating your passion with the sea into your soaps.

13. Jun 19, 2019 #13

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah...pink blah, blah... but HOW did you get that starry horizon in the soap next to it?????? (I'm kidding. I love the rose clay soap, but still, that night sky... Please share you technique).

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  14. Jun 19, 2019 #14

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Daryl - if you’re asking about the dark soap with the layering and mottling, the mottling is achieved by adding some salt directly to the batter. I learned about the technique from Auntie Clara’s website. She made a beautiful “dappled” soap for a friend.

As for the pink, it’s not my thing, but there are lots of women in my extended family who love pink...

15. Jun 19, 2019 #15

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

That's the one. Does it not look like a night sky with moon rising over the mountains to you? It's beautiful. As for pink, not my thing either...I don't care for "rose" or "bubble gum" fragrances, so I never know what to pair with it.

16. Jun 19, 2019 #16

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I was looking at that dark soap one way only (for my “mud” series) and appreciate your creative vision!

I scented the pink soap with Monoi de Tahiti infused coconut oil. It’s a gentle, natural, gardenia scent that seems to be holding up in the cp soap which is now more than 2 months old.