Hello from Atlanta

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

sjsoapcompany

Reaction score
My name is Jack and I just recently started soaping. Probably 10 batches in with a 4 lb mold. Still have no idea what I'm doing, but I've been able to make usable soap!

Mostly my bars lose their scent after a month and none have been able to leave a scent on the skin after a shower. Hopefully I can fix that by being here.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Are you using fragrance oils or essential oils? Citrus EO's are notorious for fading in cp soap. As soap is a wash off product, most scents do not linger on the skin. Scent lingers on skin in a leave-on product such as lotion or cream.

sjsoapcompany

Reaction score
Fragrance Oils have been what I have mostly used. I have used a lot of soaps over the years that leave their scent, is that not a by-product of cold process?

Does the vanilla color stabilizer stuff have an effect on soap scent?

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Welcome! I live in Birmingham.

Where are you buying your fragrance oils? I have never used a vanilla stabilizer, but several people here have reported a sour scent. Also, the stabilizer only SLOWS the discoloring process, it doesn't stop it.

We have a saying here "embrace the brown".

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Using quality fragrances is a start. However, even most of them dont' stick to your skin after showering. The only one's I find stick after shower are some of the men's fragrances. Perfect Man & Cracklin Birch from NG are a couple examples. I find using a sugar scrub and/or lotion after showering work best for most.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Shunt is right. Soap is a wash-off product so it's against it's nature for a scent to stick to your skin. The ones that do are generally bottom note fragrances - vanilla, woodsy, patchouli. I have a Honey Beeswax FO from Brambleberry that really sticks to the skin!

Latest posts