Hello from Atlanta

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjsoapcompany

Reaction score
My name is Jack and I just recently started soaping. Probably 10 batches in with a 4 lb mold. Still have no idea what I'm doing, but I've been able to make usable soap!

Mostly my bars lose their scent after a month and none have been able to leave a scent on the skin after a shower. Hopefully I can fix that by being here.

Welcome to the forum. Are you using fragrance oils or essential oils? Citrus EO's are notorious for fading in cp soap. As soap is a wash off product, most scents do not linger on the skin. Scent lingers on skin in a leave-on product such as lotion or cream.

Fragrance Oils have been what I have mostly used. I have used a lot of soaps over the years that leave their scent, is that not a by-product of cold process?

Does the vanilla color stabilizer stuff have an effect on soap scent?

Welcome! I live in Birmingham.

Where are you buying your fragrance oils? I have never used a vanilla stabilizer, but several people here have reported a sour scent. Also, the stabilizer only SLOWS the discoloring process, it doesn't stop it.

We have a saying here "embrace the brown".

Using quality fragrances is a start. However, even most of them dont' stick to your skin after showering. The only one's I find stick after shower are some of the men's fragrances. Perfect Man & Cracklin Birch from NG are a couple examples. I find using a sugar scrub and/or lotion after showering work best for most.

Shunt is right. Soap is a wash-off product so it's against it's nature for a scent to stick to your skin. The ones that do are generally bottom note fragrances - vanilla, woodsy, patchouli. I have a Honey Beeswax FO from Brambleberry that really sticks to the skin!

Latest posts

Back