Hello from a long time Lurker!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catheford2

Reaction score
I have to confess--I have lurked around for YEARS! I remember IrishLass and recognize several other names from The Dish in 2008!!
My soap journey started in 2008 after being gifted with a bar of soap that changed my husband's skin! I started researching about what made that soap different and how to make it.

I found the Dish at that time--but I knew the "rules" on the forum--and I didn't dare ask any questions!! LOL I went to the library and read and read and wrote so many notes (which I still have) and went to Miller's website?? and calculated out all of my own recipes after reading on some very rudimentary websites about oil properties, etc. (now--soooo many options on YouTube--making it so easy for people!! I worked soo hard to find information).
Fast forward (through 2 children, a graduate degree)--I made a lot of soap for my family and friends through the years, and at the end of last year started pulling out my supplies more frequently.

I want to say THANK YOU to all of you on here. I have so much WISDOM now in regards to soap making that I learned from reading from YOU! I recently started selling soap, and I continually recall all that I've learned from you all. And now I GET IT when I read the volumes of individuals asking about packaging or wholesaling when they just started making soap 2 months prior. I GET IT now when I see people advertising their "healing" products and all of the medical claims and how frustrating it is (when you are trying to follow the law/guidelines!!) I GET that you have to represent handmade soap well--because it can affect the trade (although it is becoming way more popular in mainstream market).

Anyway--Not to ramble any more! My name is Catherine and I am thankful for you all being the start of my soap making journey 12 years ago!

Welcome into the light!
I was foolish enough to make a comment on the dish and barely survived. Did the same thing in a Facebook group too. I was so thankful to find this forum with helpful kind people who are always ready to share my obsession.
:computerbath:

HI Catherine! Welcome to the forum! Many Dish members scared the snot out of me. I read but don't think I asked questions. I did like their co-ops though. I learned a lot from just reading. I responded a time or two but they scared me.

Welcome, Catherine!

I found there to actually be quite a few wonderful, friendly, very helpful, sharing folks on the Dish, but there's no denying that there was also a well-entrenched element of the bullying type there that made perusing the forum feel like one was always walking through a dangerous minefield. I innocently stepped on a hidden mine once and got knocked off my feet (naive fools bravely go where angels fear to tread, lol), but I quickly learned where to avoid placing my foot the next time. I ended up actually posting there quite a bit, but not without employing a vigilant navigation strategy from then on out. lol

The atmosphere here is so much kinder/friendlier.

IrishLass :)

Thanks everyone! I am also one loves research--so the archives were/are my friend! Hopefully, if time permits, I will speak up more!

Back