Hello, brand new to soaping!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoneex

Reaction score
Hi,
I stumbled upon CP soap making while trying to find myself a new hobby. I haven't made my first batch yet as I only finished buying all my tools yesterday haha
Along with watching a ton of videos on youtube and visiting a ton of other websites, I've bought The Everything Soap Making Book to get started and plan on making the half and half vanilla deluxe recipe as my first batch!
I'm very excited to begin but I'm not sure if she means half water, half milk or just make the milk slushy and add lye? or as a complete beginner, should I try to find a recipe that doesn't involve milk?
Anyway! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's posts and being able to talk to other people also interested in making soap! :smile:

Welcome! I started with a goats milk soap, it went fine. I still have bars over a year later and they are perfect. So, read the recipe good, start small if you are nervous. I did freeze the milk tho. If I were doing a 1/2 milk 1/2 water recipe, I would add the water and frozen milk together, then add the lye. Milk ice cubes work great! Luck!

I'd go with a non-milk soap for your first batch. It's just one less thing to worry about. Milk soaps aren't difficult but water-based are just less bother. (I'm just thinking back to my first batch!!)

Oh, and don't do what I did. My first batch I spent half the day waiting for my lye to cool down. Then I realized I could put my lye pitcher in a dishpan full of ice water and save a few hours. What a revelation!!

I also would do a non milk for first batch but if you are so insistent try using goats milk in with your oil versus the lye. My soap no matter how careful would end up burning or having that horrible ammonia smell. Granted not 100% gm but the soap turns out creamy white and awesome texture.

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum, as everyone has said, try a non milk one first until you get the hang of making soap. I'm sure there is another basic one in the book to try. Where are you in Qld ?

I had a go at the non-milk, but it went like jelly! Haha, probably due to my microwave dying the second I tried to heat my coconut oil >< thanks for the tips!
Once I buy more coconut oil ill try again :)

I'm in Brisbane :)

I've melted my CO in the sun when its hot enough. Try, try again.

Bris - vegus.

I wouldn't have even thought of that! Ill keep it in mind, I've bought a better stick mixer since that batch and so far, so good! :)

My first soap was a goat's milk soap and it turned out amazing. If you want to do a milk soap as your first bat h then I say go for it. I used frozen goats milk with the lye and found some really comprehensive instructions which told me every step of the way what to expect. Get everything you need organised in advance, clear everyone out of the kitchen while you focus on the soap and there's no reason why you should try a milk soap. Best of luck!

Back