Heeeeelp! Addicted!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
  • I now have a list of soaps I want to try as long as my arm.
  • I fiddle about on soap calc every minute I get, mucking around with different oil mixes to find the 'perfect' mix, and then save all the recipes to try
  • I keep buying soap moulds, and oil and EOs/FOs
  • I think about soap all the time, and can't wait until its the weekend so I can make some.
Is this normal?

Checks instagram feed: all soapmakers
Checks groups on FB: all soap related
Checks google history: last 6 searches all soap related
Last 30 pics on phone: all soap ... for that matter, there are more pictures of soap than of my husband or my kids.
Checks YouTube subscriptions: mostly soapmakers.

I think you're in good company...

@KiwiMoose So funny that you posted this, as I was just feeling the same way!! I've made/sold cleaning products for about 2 years now (selling since last year).. always said I had no interest in body care.. and then I moved to hard water land.. and wanted to make soap for myself, and gifts...

Now, I want to make ALL the soap, and balms, and lotions, and, and and!! It's a slippery slope, for sure, lol!

It’s obsessive I think..at least for me. I’ve got to curtail my spending on all soap related things. I’ve been at this for about 3 months and I’ve made well over 200 bars...countless lip balms, and now sugar scrubs. Every time I read a post about something I haven’t tried- I get caught in vortex and can’t escape this soapy world!! HELP! Haha

:nonono:
Kiwi,

I am VERY concerned. You must abstain completely from all things related to soaping until the unnatural compulsion wanes. No soaping, no fondling soap, no viewing illicit soap pics on the internet, no fiddling with lye calculators. Most importantly avoid fraternizing with other soap addicts that may be found in such soaping dens of inequities as SMF. If all else fails seek out a soaping rehab program before the affliction destroys life as u kno it.

Last edited:
The first step......
Admitting we are powerless over soaping

Second step...
Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity

3rd step ...
Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to god as we understood him

4th step...
Oh crap- I can’t get past the first one!

upload_2018-12-21_12-52-32.jpeg

Last edited:
Been there done that....is an old phrase. SoapCalc. I've settled on 30Coconut, 25Olive, 35 Lard, 5 castor and 5 luxury oil like wheat germ or shea. 6% super. Ice Lye and oils to 90 degrees. Stick blend oils before adding lye. Don't mix to full trace. Cut at 24 hours, age 3 weeks. Perfect in every way

I get caught in vortex and can’t escape this soapy world!!
… soap making and weaving are my whiskey and cigarettes and they keep me out of the bars.
… no viewing illicit soap pics on the internet.
The first step …
… you will see trace in everything …

Lots of great advice up there. I'm not entirely sure but it seems to boil down to "Surrender, for you are lost … may as well go make more soap."

Dean had me WTFLOLing and surreptitiously hoping to not get caught fondling soap.
My special empathy chuckle went out to Cellador's observation, having yesterday noted a sauce reach trace as I cooked it.

Latest posts

Back