heating large amounts of oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a 5 gallon bucket of pre mixed oils but need to heat it up so the oils are completely mixed before use. Does anyone have any ideas for doing this? I don't have a bath tub (I took it out when I remodeled) but do have a pretty deep kitchen sink.. I tried to fill it with hot water but it didn't quite work although I'll try again but I need a longer spoon or paddle to stir. Any ideas?

40 pounds is a lot to heat!

You can fill the sink about three quarters (with the oil bucket in), then boil some water and pour that into the water mix as well to warm it up a bit more. Keep an eye on the temperature and, when it gets to 120, replace the water.

Five gallons of solid oils is going to take a long while to melt, there's no way around that. I'd suggest melting them the first time, mixing, and then splitting into gallon jugs so you can drop it in a large pot and heat the water directly the next time.

If--big if--the jug has absolutely no metal or foil on it, you might be able to fit it into your microwave if you have an extra-large one.

I have seen belt heaters where you wrap the bucket with the belt and it will melt the oils. I know a lot of people use this type of gadget for their Palm oil they have to stir on a use by use basis so the stearic doesn't settle out.
Devices like what is on this page - I know you can get them for around $20 or less, but don't use them, so never researched.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...prefix=belt+heater,aps,177&crid=2O6W0HLJN56Q4

Do you have a heating pad? Or one of those food warming trays that you plug in and put casserole dishes on to keep warm? Or a ceramic or stone heating stone that you put into the oven? Something along the lines of any of those could help maintain a steady heat from the bottom of the bucket. Then maybe insulate the bucket with a blanket.

I heat jugs of some oils in my sink with hot tap water, but it can cool so quickly, I find boiling water on my stove to add to the sink helps. Of course, some oils melt faster than others, so how long it takes can certainly vary. But the most I have ever melted in a sink was 7 pounds (about a gallon).

My soaping instructor bought heavy duty floor heating mats (made for workers who stand on concrete all day) and uses those for the big 5-gallon buckets. She says it takes about 24 hours to melt a 5 gallon bucket of solid palm oil. Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013V1PYA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil isn't solid, fortunately, so I'll try the heating pad in combination with the hot water in the sink (not at the same time, of course) and keeping the hot water replenished. I've see drum warmers that wrap around 5 gallon buckets but don't want to sink any more money into equipment. I love making soap, but buying all the gadgets, etc., is sending me to the poor house!!! Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I do the same as JC -- stir the gloopy mess until it looks evenly mixed, measure out what I need, and then warm just that portion until the fats are fully melted and clear.

I heated Blanket may be better then the heating pad. Bigger area and higher heat?
I don't premix for this reason, same with Lye. Recipes change too. But I guess if you are doing big batches all the time it would save a bunch of time.

Mission accomplished. I sat the bucket on a heating pad turned on high and turn on a little heater and pointed it at the bucket. It took a few hours, and I had to turn the bucket several times, but it melted and I've divided it into smaller containers. Thanks to all for responding.

Latest posts

Back