have a hard time selling lard soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless it's changed recently here in the USA, I don't think you have to label ingredients at all with just soap. Most soapmakers do it as a courtesy, and because we are a considerate, ethical bunch for the most part. :)

fireweed said:
Right, so I guess you can use either the scientific name or not in the UK (she did).

Here's her website-- she has some really cool products:

http://lomondsoap.com/page4.htm

She's good :)
But to answer your question; no, you can not use either the scientific name or English. Especially in Europe you always use the scientific names and you can choose to add a second ingredient list in English to make it easier to understand for your average customer.

Please search this forum and google for INCI

Thank you, that's certainly good information!

Not to worry, though, I have not been trying to sell anything-- I have miles to go yet, and am aware of that standards here are very strict. Each and every product type needs it's own certification which is about $300 from what I hear, and I'm sure the issue of labeling is addressed!

cosmetic or soap?

as long as you are not claiming any beauty or cosmetic properties you can sell your soap without cosmetic labeling rules as far as i know... as soap...

Re: cosmetic or soap?

rvan said:
as long as you are not claiming any beauty or cosmetic properties you can sell your soap without cosmetic labeling rules as far as i know... as soap...

This may be true. However, when I begin to sell I will label so the customer that may sensitive to certain ingredients can determine themselves whether they want to purchase my product or not. Those that are sensitive will read labels. From my understanding if you mention moisturizing, conditioning or any other 'catch phrase' you must list ingredients. If not, the label must just state soap. You can add hand-made or home-made but not any benefits the soap may impart to the skin.

listing ingredients on the label

When listing soap ingredients one has the option of listing the ingredients before reaction or the ingredients after reaction... therefore one can choose to list: olive oil, water and lye or one can list: olivate, glycerine, water and olive oil if you have superfatted. Even after cure your soap will still contain a % of water.There should however be no lye present in well cured superfatted soap so no need to list it on the label... just list the saponification products as they are the only ingredients present in your soap after cure... along with whatever additives you had put in.

I find it incredible that there actually exist people who want to make soap without lye.

There are plants containing saponins some of which are poisonous... some are used to stun fish...
These saponins have foaming ability... but that does not make it soap... our only other lyeless option is chemically produced detergents... all this fuss about lye that is not even present in well made soap... :p

two options remain.... proudly list lye as the ingredient on your ingredients list and educate the mindless masses or list the saponification products only and pander to them... my advice choose the most economically sensible!!!
:p

these same masses would buy very expensive face washes and face creams listing sodium hydroxide in the ingredients list but go crazy at the mention of lye in handmade soap... choose the most economically sensible option...

if they don't want to know don't list lye... it isn't present in your product so why bother...

rvan, you are totally correct!

However, I was saying that I have found a lot of people not wanting LARD in the soaps. It tends to be a big deal, from what I'm finding that people don't want it....but I say, it makes a really nice soap. But, it is hard to argue with customers, and I have resorted to not using it so much and giving them what they want. ...no lard.

Back