Haunted by lard/tallow

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by John Harris, Oct 1, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2019 #61

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

@Cjennmom I am afraid I will stand by my statement that using weights rather than volume measurements and a soap calculator is a better choice. I am glad your soap turned out well, and it's cool to read about how soap was made historically, but we've learned a lot since colonial times.

Ladka and Arimara like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2019 #62

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

Please believe me when I say the others don't mean you harm; We want you to be safe. I gave you the suggestion as it is the only way to see what kind of superfat you may be getting by using measuring tools instead of using weights. the advantage of knowing the weights of what you are using for your recipe is that you would be better able to make a consistently safe , well superfatted batch of soap.

While you may be able to guarantee the quality of your water or even you lard, you cannot always be so sure with the granules of NaOH you are using as that is the most variable ingredient we use. The danger comes in here when you measure by volume- every heaping tbsp of NaOH is not going to have the same consistent weight. it can take one time for you to make a batch that may be lye-heavy and none of us want that for you or anyone else.

So yeah, we want you to enjoy your soap be we want to caution you to play it safe, get your white lab coat, black gloves and goggles and have fun soaping (you don't need the lab coat).

DeeAnna, Ladka and dibbles like this.
  3. Oct 5, 2019 #63

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin

DeeAnna, while I 've never had the interaction like you with piggies, I've always believed them to be very smart and sensitive.

Gaisy59, Ladka, Michele50 and 2 others like this.
  4. Oct 6, 2019 #64

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Supporting Member

I too believe that the only reason animals like to wallow in dirt is because people corral them in such places. Animals are not as dumb as we make them out to be.

5. Oct 6, 2019 #65

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

so it is as expensive as in Canada

Actually pigs are not dirty animals, they have no choice, and another thing they are more intelligent, than dogs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
    melinda48, Ladka and Gaisy59 like this.
  6. Oct 9, 2019 #66

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

Animals wallow in dirt and mud to protect their skin from the sun and insects.

Ladka likes this.
  7. Oct 9, 2019 #67

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Supporting Member

Oh absolutely, but when the dont have much room to move that mud also includes their own feces if the pen is not kept clean.