Has Anyone Ever Heard of This?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went into a craft store that sells mainly supplies for candles and freshies, however they had an incredible selection of fragrance oils. When I asked if they were body safe, they informed me that they didn't know because it costs extra from their supplier for them to be given that information and it was very expensive to obtain. Has anyone ever heard of this? I called back about several months later and was told the same thing.
I've been in a lot of craft stores and order from several and I have never been told this. I just find it strange.

Yes, that is unfortunately common.

Also, even if they are skin-safe, the FOs carried by most craft stores are by and large only suitable for melt & pour soap, not for cold-processed soap. If you use them in CP soap, you can expect some or all of the following: acceleration, seizing, ricing, color changes, and scent morphing/fading.

That's not to say you can't try one or two of them. If you decide to do that, I'd recommend making a very small test batch to see how it goes.

Hi @Lolly58 - when I first started, I picked up M&P, micas and FO at Hobby Lobby. I couldn’t find usage rates on the internet for the brand, and quickly learned I needed more info than I could get that way. Now I only buy from known vendors with reliable notes and usage rates.
Your story does sound strange for a place that seems to specialize in these items, and for me, I want more data and to know safe usage rates, notes on discoloration, acceleration, etc. 🌸

Yes, that is unfortunately common.

Also, even if they are skin-safe, the FOs carried by most craft stores are by and large only suitable for melt & pour soap, not for cold-processed soap. If you use them in CP soap, you can expect some or all of the following: acceleration, seizing, ricing, color changes, and scent morphing/fading.

That's not to say you can't try one or two of them. If you decide to do that, I'd recommend making a very small test batch to see how it goes.
I just passed on it. They call themselves a candle supple but mostly specialize in freshies. I live close to a candle supply in Fort Worth and even most of their fragrances are also body safe. I asked them about it also, and they have never heard of it either.

Latest posts

Back