Hard White Bar Without Lard or Tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna M

Reaction score
In my first couple of batches I used lard, coconut, and soy bean oil. About a month after making them, I think the soap has a faint "dough" smell; I don't really know any other way to describe it. I've used essential oils in every batch. The lard I've used is purchased in a one pound carton from the grocery store and looks clean.

It might not even be the lard causing the smell, but I'd prefer just the clean, fragrant smell. Anyone else had this problem? Would something like Crisco (soy veg. shortening) have less of a smell?

I need to use something made of hard fat because I like using the double boiler closed system HP method and liquid oils tend to make a sticky soap that's hard to remove from the plastic molds if that method is used.

Thanks,
Donna

I have used Crisco and never noticed a scent other than soap ,in an unscented soap . I wonder if the lard had been on the shelf a long time ? Did it get to hot during the cook ?

Kitn

Crisco will work. If you rub a little vaseline or mineral oil on your molds, it helps with getting the soap out. For some reason when I HP Crisco, it comes out pretty white, but when I CP it, I get a slight pink tint. No idea why, just know that it does. I've done 100% OO HP, & had no problems getting it out of the mold that was rubbed down with vaseline.

Hope that helps some...

Hmmm.... with lard I've heard of some soapers getting a piggy smell at times, but never a dough smell. I use lard all the time and never get a piggy or a dough smell, but I know some soapers who have noses that are just sensitive that way and smell piggy no matter what. :lol:

Palm oil is a good substitute for lard and tallow.

IrishLass :)

Most of my soaps are OO & CO and they come fairly white....100% CO with a large superfat is extremely white and a really nice soap too! Tallow also gives you a really white soap....

what is lard? i though crisco was lard, the label says soybean and palm oil, or the other one from dollar store was straight soybean.

honor435 said:
what is lard? i though crisco was lard, the label says soybean and palm oil, or the other one from dollar store was straight soybean.

Lard comes from the fat of the pig. Tallow comes from the fat of the cow or other animal ( deer, sheep, etc. )

Shortening is vegetable based not animal based usually. I guess there might be a random brand here and there that might be animal but I doubt it anymore.

honor435 said:

What jbarad said. :)

Lard is purely rendered pig fat and nothing else (except maybe BHT as a preservative) . There's no palm oil, or soybean oil, or any other kind of oil/fat in it. It's just plain old pig fat. :) In most stores it is sold in blue containers labeled as SnowCap Lard, or in green containers labeled as Armour Lard (or Manteca - which is Spanish for lard).

Crisco is vegetable shortening made with hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils. No lard in it at all.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add that Crisco makes for a softer soap than lard.

honor435 said:

I think the confusion may like in the fact that in some places, "shortening" can refer to lard shortening. Crisco is a brand of shortening that is vegetable shortening.

donna
Iam having that "smell" you refer to and i dont use lard, i have been using shortening and canola, must be the shortening??? im not going to use it anymore. whats weird is a hp recipe doesnt smell 2 of the cps do.

Latest posts

Back