Happy New Year!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreen Moore

Reaction score
Nothing like starting out the new year by un-molding and cutting soap! Then I made a new recipe and used my last two sample mica packs and used my homemade swirl tool and have a new batch beautifully setting up!
New year so I figured I would crank up my super fat to 10% as I have yet to go above 5% yet. Then I added a bit of salt to my lye water as (I patiently wait for my sodium lactate to arrive) I wanted to make sure this firms better. Seems to work! Fire place has been burning all day and the area the soap is in is really warm yet it is firm and maybe gelling? Need to try that too! Accidentally made a recipe for 561 lbs of soap :shakinghead:then I realized I hadn't switched to grams! Got a chuckle out of that! :rolling:

Happy New Year everybody! Now go out and make 561 lbs of soap!

Happy New Year.
I hope you dissolved the salt before adding the lye to the water. Salt and sugars need to be fully dissolved before dissolving lye. Just so you know, you can make a hard bar of soap without added salt or SL, depending on your fatty acid profile. Salt and Superfat can affect superfat.

Happy New Year.
I hope you dissolved the salt before adding the lye to the water. Salt and sugars need to be fully dissolved before dissolving lye. Just so you know, you can make a hard bar of soap without added salt or SL, depending on your fatty acid profile. Salt and Superfat can affect superfat.
I added it after I dissolved the lye in the water. After it cooled. It took a bit for the salt to dissolve in the lye water. Ohhhh... it was a fine grain sea salt too. Hmmm! Noted my soap has been very warm and a very slight trace of oil seeped out but seems firm. Maybe like half a milliliter or less clear scentless oil. Looks pretty and smells good.
Again in a re-purposed Pringles can. I sealed it pretty tight on the bottom and nothing leaked this time. It is cooling down now. It bulged from the can about a millimeter but no cracks. House has been overly warm with the fireplace going all day. I finally moved it to a cooler room. Going to let this sit for 2 days I think and see if that little tiny bit of oil reabsorbs. Then I will yank it out of the can and unwrap.
I appreciate all the tips. I watch video after video and everybody does something slightly different. On pins and needles waiting for all my orders to come in. BB, FB, and some other EO website. Waiting patiently for the sodium lactate! Next project after the micas and such arrive will be a swirl in my little 3 lbs already lined and waiting loaf pan! Then I want to insulate or do the oven thing and try to gel the soap.

I added it after I dissolved the lye in the water. After it cooled. It took a bit for the salt to dissolve in the lye water. Ohhhh... it was a fine grain sea salt too. Hmmm! Noted my soap has been very warm and a very slight trace of oil seeped out but seems firm. Maybe like half a milliliter or less clear scentless oil. Looks pretty and smells good.
Again in a re-purposed Pringles can. I sealed it pretty tight on the bottom and nothing leaked this time. It is cooling down now. It bulged from the can about a millimeter but no cracks. House has been overly warm with the fireplace going all day. I finally moved it to a cooler room. Going to let this sit for 2 days I think and see if that little tiny bit of oil reabsorbs. Then I will yank it out of the can and unwrap.
I appreciate all the tips. I watch video after video and everybody does something slightly different. On pins and needles waiting for all my orders to come in. BB, FB, and some other EO website. Waiting patiently for the sodium lactate! Next project after the micas and such arrive will be a swirl in my little 3 lbs already lined and waiting loaf pan! Then I want to insulate or do the oven thing and try to gel the soap.
I am answering myself!! Oil absorbed!!! YEA! BEAUTIFUL SOAP!!! I think it gelled!!!

Latest posts

Back