Hand Milling Problem - not melting

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

bassgirl

Reaction score
Sorry to repeat, but I thought this might not get noticed in my old thread...

Today I grated some of my first soap to hand mill, added 75% water, and had it on the double boiler for about a half hour. All I got was a goopy paste. Put it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes at 50% power and got a big expanded goopy paste. Now it's back in the double boiler and it's been over an hour.

Is it hopeless? :(

pepperi27

Reaction score
Ok so you added about 75% water meaning what? I only add about 1-4 tbs of water depending on how old the batch is. For soap thats older I add 1/4 cup of dw.

bassgirl

Reaction score
It was 6 oz. of soap, so I added 4.5 oz. of distilled water. Everything I've read said to use that proportion. I added a few more tablespoons at one point, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I just have a gelatinous blob now. :?

bassgirl

Reaction score
Hmmm...so it sounds like my soap was as melted as it was going to be? I guess I'll try another batch today (assuming yesterday's batch is toast now), add less water, and go ahead and add fragrance and pour.

Thanks for the guidance!

cdwinsby

Reaction score
Don't chuck away yesterdays batch though! Put it in a mold anyway....it will just take a little longer for the water to evaporate out. The soaps may be a little bit soft and get a 'shrunken' look. It will be fine for home use, they just might not be as asthetically pleasing as you would have hoped for.

pepperi27

Reaction score
I have my methods posted here in the photo gallery if you would like to take a look.

carebear

Reaction score
a "little" longer? I'd think a LOT longer :)

If I'm rebatching relatively fresh soap I add up to a tablespoon of milk per pound of soap. Which is half an ounce per 16 ounces...

I'm curious how it will turn out.