Grrrrrr - Naughty Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is the third batch of soap that I've had 'go off'. I guess in a year and a half of soaping that's not too bad, but it doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens. This one is probably the quickest to make its intentions known - at just 7 weeks old. I've been wracking my brain trying to understand why this happened, and I can only put it down to the fragrance oil - as everything else in the recipe was standard. At least I haven't sold any yet, because that would have been embarrassing! I have used one piece in the shower ( about 3 weeks ago) and it was just lovely - Blackberry and Bay fragrance. But now the fragrance has gone and it's started weeping slightly. I'm tempted to grate some of it up for a confetti soap ( I have done this before with a soap that lost its fragrance and it was successful) but with the weeping I am worried that it will taint the entire new batch and make that useless as well. Your thoughts?
6F112A69-7185-4A93-BB42-9958B6990115_1_201_a.jpeg

If its starting weep, I'd wait a few more weeks and see what happens. Adding bad soap to another batch is just a waste of two batches.

If you cut a piece in half, is there any scent left inside? Maybe the soap needs more time to cure? Some of the FOs I use are more fragrant when the soap is in use.
I have taken a piece of the bad soap to use in the shower and it still doesn't have any fragrance. Lovely lather - smells like sh**! lol

...but with the weeping I am worried that it will taint the entire new batch and make that useless as well. Your thoughts?
I have taken a piece of the bad soap to use in the shower and it still doesn't have any fragrance. Lovely lather - smells like sh**! lol
Hmmm. My first thought is that there's something "off" with the fragrance. Have you used any other scents from that same supplier? My second thought, unless you stirred for one full minute after the scent was added it may not have been fully incorporated. Sometimes we experienced soapmakers just don't take the time like we did when we first started soaping. It's easy to just give a quick stir and pour. Uh-oh. :hairpulling:

My advice: Do nothing. Pack it up and put it away somewhere and let it sit for a good long while. Hopefully, you'll have a nice surprise when you discover it down the road a piece. Cross fingers.
Cross Fingers.jpg

Hmmm. My first thought is that there's something "off" with the fragrance. Have you used any other scents from that same supplier? My second thought, unless you stirred for one full minute after the scent was added it may not have been fully incorporated. Sometimes we experienced soapmakers just don't take the time like we did when we first started soaping. It's easy to just give a quick stir and pour. Uh-oh. :hairpulling:

My advice: Do nothing. Pack it up and put it away somewhere and let it sit for a good long while. Hopefully, you'll have a nice surprise when you discover it down the road a piece. Cross fingers.
View attachment 45564
You could be onto something there Zany! I may not have mixed the FO in properly. I will take more care in future.

Back