Grrr...stearic acid spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemgraham

Reaction score
Hello,
I've hit rock bottom. I was making soap with palm oil and getting stearic acid spots. So I stopped using palm oil. It didn't fix the problem, every recipe I use gets stearic acid spots. I'm heating everything up above 150 degrees before I let it cool to about 125-130 for mixing with the lye which is always a similar temperature. Do you all have any thoughts? It's so frustrating and a bit discouraging. Thanks in advance!

Ditto what Newbie said. Also...TD that's not mixed in well can mimic the appearance of stearic spots.

A picture would be very helpful.

IrishLass :)

How soon are you cutting your soap? Cutting early can show those dreaded spots - try waiting another half day before cutting

Are you using wire cutter? I see spots sometimes when using wire cutter - using knife or dough blade may prevent or minimize.

Combo of both is sure to prevent those spots if they are in fact Stearic Acid spots

That’s my problem, it doesn’t matter what recipe I use. I’ve used pretty much a million (only slight exaggeration) combinations of coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, avocado oil, castor oil...I’ll pull a couple of pictures when I get home tonight, and good tip about TD, thanks!

That’s my problem, it doesn’t matter what recipe I use. I’ve used pretty much a million (only slight exaggeration) combinations of coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, avocado oil, castor oil...I’ll pull a couple of pictures when I get home tonight, and good tip about TD, thanks!
Cocoa butter and shea butters are high in stearic, so that could also be part of it. What temp are you soaping at? Are you sure you are getting everything melted/mixed at a high enough temperature? If not that will cause stearic spots as well.

As others said, exact recipe(s) in percentages, and complete process along with soaping temps would help others help you diagnose the problem.

Latest posts

Back