Grey Spots in Hot Process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moesha1412

Reaction score
Hi! I just unmolded a herbal Hot process soap (which I made before, with the same recipe) but this batch has grey blotches when I cut it? The only difference with this one is I took about 4 days to unmold, verses the first batch I unmold the next day, Can someone tell me what that is?

4F0F3C60-866F-4787-837C-B504DB0BF02D.jpeg

Please share your full recipe.
Olive oil 440g
Coconut oil 357g
Canola High Oleic 59g
Castor oil 95g
Shea Butter 238g
Lye 172g
Water 344g
Fragrance 52g
13 Tsp different powdered herbs
Honey 2.5 TBS in 4 TBS distilled water I took from the water for the lye concentration. (Which I added after cook at 159 degrees
2 TBS turmeric, I mixed with the honey and water
8% super fat(Avocado oil, which I added after cook at 150 degrees)
I combined the turmeric, honey & water, fragrance and avocado oil. And then added everything after the cook. I realise the turmeric didn’t mix with the oils it just sunk to the bottom.

The greyish-white spots are most likely overcooked soap. This happens often when you scrape the side of the cooking container, especially later in the cook. All that soap residue on the sides of the container is cooked faster than the soap mass in the center of the pot. Once that happens, they won't mix back into the rest of the soap, or accept any color.

It is so hard not to scrape everything back in, but when you do, those white spots will happen. The good news is, they are just soap, and it's just cosmetic, so your soap is perfectly safe to use.

Latest posts

Back