Greetings there now Eh?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacemom

Reaction score
Hello!

I am Justina, I have been interested in making it for a while now. haven't made it yet. just gathering up supplies and tutorials before i jump off the deep end and make a batch of soap. and thought this would be a fantastic place to start!

So Hello there now Eh!

Welcome! If you are in southern Alberta be sure to check out Windy Point in Calgary for supplies and classes.

Welcome! If you are in southern Alberta be sure to check out Windy Point in Calgary for supplies and classes.
if only central alberta!

Welcome. Soon you will be as hooked as all of us!
curses! i've been cursed with a joy of soap! i said i didnt need another hobby, i already weave, crochet, (attempt) to knit, paint and sew! but.. i can add this in with the other hobbies right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spacemom, the thing is hobbies come in episodes, like chronic illnesses. I knit, sew, crochet, garden, naalbind, bake sourdough and other breads, ferment stuff, dabble in calligraphy, and make soap. Not a problem since I’m not doing all of them all the time.:thumbs: Welcome to soapmaking!

Welcome Justina! Mosey on over to the Beginner's Forum and find the Sticky "Beginner's Learn to Soap Online". Lots of good info there to get you started. Take a cuppa along and scroll down to Lovin' Soap Studio to get a handle on most of the stuff we talk about here.

Most of the equipment you need you probably already have in your kitchen, with the exception of a stick blender which you might find at a thrift store or Walmart, Target, etc. You can use a whisk to bring soap to trace, but a stick blender is faster.

LYE Look for Rooto "100% sodium hydroxide" (lye) locally at the hardware store or big box stores (drain cleaner). For very little expense, you can buy lard at the grocery store which makes a fine bar of soap all by itself.

Make a few 1 lb batches to get the hang of it before tackling a goat's milk soap -- goat's milk contains sugar which causes the soap to heat up so it requires special handling.

DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff is a good read for Newbies & experienced soapers alike.
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp

This thread is a fun read about what pitfalls await Newbies:
What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/

The best way to search SMF: GOOGLE
(type your keywords here) site:soapmakingforum.com
If you want to search for a phrase, put the phrase in quotes.
You can include individual words along with phrases

HAPPY SOAPING!
Wave.gif

Spacemom, the thing is hobbies come in episodes, like chronic illnesses. I knit, sew, crochet, garden, naalbind, bake sourdough and other breads, ferment stuff, dabble in calligraphy, and make soap. Not a problem since I’m not doing all of them all the time.:thumbs: Welcome to soapmaking!
Hello to all, I am a newbie that so far started with natural MP soaps and then graduated to HP soaps. Not particularly happy to see this post as I quilt, garden in the summer, do jellies, etc. and really don't need another hobby. However, I found this site....not sure why I didn't earlier...and found out that I knew almost nothing about soaping! LOL So far just soaping for friends and family, but it seems like when I get the urge to soap it isn't just one batch. My hubby thinks I'm nuts and still uses his Dial soap that he has used for at least 48 years! To that all I can say, is that's more for me to use and give away! I love this site and all the advice I'm getting. Now I need to find the time to try out a new formula or two, but it's Quilt Show time coming up, so need to get the labels on my quilts and get out the lint roller for those pesky stray strings. Happy soaping, Spacemom.

Latest posts

Back