Greetings from Bristol (United Kingdom)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxandmonkey

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just found this forum when googling how to make beard soap! I recently began making my own beard balm and now getting ready to dive into the world of soap making too! Tonnes of questions but I'm going to read through as much as I can before asking ones that have been answered time and time again.

Best,

James (Monkey)

The Fox and I live in Montpelier in Briz. Hoping to make more than I spend but will have to see if that's fanciful thinking!

Yes safe from the burst main! We are up quite a hill from the centre so not much flooding danger. And yes have been wading through EU regulations which do seem like quite a mouthful! Any help in that regard certainly appreciated :)

Best advice is find a safety assessor. Then work out which recipes you want to actually get approved - you can't sell unapproved recipes, so you need to invest a bit in market research to see which ones are worth paying the fee to get approved for sale. Or take a shot in the dark and risk getting a recipe approved only to find that no one buys it! Not to mention that you need to look at where you make your soap and that your practices meet the Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines.

The thread over in the forum has much more information. But it's a rabbit hole, that much is true.

I would suggest that a newbie doesn't think of selling - it's like having never made a cake before or only a few cakes and thinking of running a business making cakes! Just make soap and enjoy making soap and playing with the fun aspects of it.

Back