Great Soap Works Spoon Swirl Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jules, it's very nice if muted I color. What were your colorants?

I used rose kaolin clay and spirulina powder. I didn't have any other colorants left, I thought I had some neons left from a sample pack I got at WSP but when I made my first practice batch I realized I didn't have enough to do anything good. I put a few in my Jasmine batch and it was way too light.

This was my practice batch:

1418606065001.jpg

The first pic I submitted. Hard to center up my pictures, so this brick one worked best. The second pic is off my blog and was a better close up. unfortunately it was overexposed from the sun directly shining on it, but I didn't want to correct the colors. I meant for it to be black swirls, but I ended up with gray. Next to professional cuts, coloring is a real task to learn how to do well imo.

IMAG2664.jpg

IMAG2673.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Need to re-read these threads. I see people posted, and I barely got this post up yesterday. My entire family is sick, pretty bad. Fixing to take most everyone to doctor. Feeling terrible since last Thursday.

Thank you again. I tried hard. This challenge helped me to work on detail and quality control. I had to move slow, think about a concept and try to execute it properly. I needed the extra training that making all those practice batches provided.

Congrats to all of you. Besides the new info I learn here every day, the inspiration from everyone's soaps is the best. Princess, hope everyone is feeling better soon. Christmas is a lousy time to be sick. The effort you put into your soap clearly shines - well, well done

Fata, your colors are so beautiful. I remember your entry from last month, which garnered one of my votes. You had the delicate green and pink chevron that you then S swirled and you put your colors in more randomly which gave the fabulous color shift. I loved it. This month is just as wonderful. I've been meaning to give your pattern from last month a go but this month got in my way and then I got another thought that lead me further astray. You should post a pic of your entry from last month.

There were just a ton of excellent soaps this month. There are months I am totally surprised at who won because my (mental) votes were completely different from the winners. Who knows what will pan out this month? I hope someone on the forum at least places, if not wins.

Yep, I still love it. I saw you made it in purples and pinks as well. I prefer the green one of the two you made because it is more delicate and the colors are perfect together.

I was wondering with someone if people gravitate toward stronger colors because of the thumbnails, for the contest anyhow. I considered it when thinking about making my soap this month but then I didn't care because you have to make what you like.

Here is what I entered. It was really the only good bar in the batch, and it is cut thin. I made at least four other soaps (that might be low, I'm trying to forget). You'd think a spoon swirl would be easy but I struggled to create something that was even remotely distinctive to show off the tools and technique. There were some really great soaps entered - like, how did they to that?? I'd be lucky to steal a single vote from them, that's how competitive it was. It was neat to be challenged like this but I could do without the pressure!
I love the colors you used CaraBou and I think your spoon swirl looks beautiful. One would think a spoon swirl would be easy peasy, but to accomplish a great spoon swirl is not necessarily easy peasy

This is my entry for the contest, "Cherry Blossom":

Fata! That was yours!! I adore it! I agonized over not having enough votes to include Cherry Blossom. Like my other top selections, it was clean, simple and elegant in design, not distracting with too much color. I struggled to come up with that approach for my own entry -- but couldn't -- and that's why I ended up with a strategy of bold colors and a theme I could visualize. But in my eye, it is nonfunctional and not where I want to be. It was fun to do for competition though, since I wouldn't do it in day-to-day soaping!

Please know this isn't a lure for votes, by Fata or anyone else who hasn't cast yet. To my knowledge, this is the first time we have a Challenge thread, so we are evolving. But for the future I recommend we hold off posting our entries until the voting closes, just to prevent any misunderstanding or unintentional biases. I can't seem to keep my mouth shut before it is over :oops:

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. In retrospect, I also think it's sorta unfair to the readers who don't participate since they can't see them all. This was my first time to participate and I was just excited. Sorry. If a moderator wants to close this thread, I promise not to complain about my 1st amendment rights.

Oh I don't think it needs closing.

We need a thread started next month, and the person that starts the thread needs some house rules listed.

Roll call for great cakes soapworks challenge club.
List your smf user name if joining.
Post questions, troubleshooting, failed attempts, pictures of soaps not being submitted welcomed. Please hold off on showcasing your submitted soaps until winners are announced.

And whoever starts the thread needs to post the rules each month. That will make it a little easier and such. This was our first one so I see no problem with anything this go round :)
Also, we now know each other's submitting names, so we will have an idea of which soaps belong to whom, but it will make it a little more fair.

Back