Grapeseed oi...and Safflower oil ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Somehow I have ended up with a bottle of these 2 oils ? Does anyone know what the benefits if any these oils have ? And it if is worth fooling with trying to work them into a recipe ?

I'm not sure about the grapeseed oil but I know safflower oil is one of the oils people use as kind of a filler oil to help keep costs down. It adds in moisturizing qualities and I've read about it upping dos chances. I think I remember reading that it was recommended to use it at no more than 10-15% of your total oils

Maybe someone else will have more info

Well, they came from the grocery, so maybe I will just find recipes and cook with them :)

Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it !

you can use both of those in your soap, just not hight amts, plug them in soap calc and look at numbers!

You could always see what 10% will do for you. I have been paying attention to my iodine number and keeping it under 70. I don't want any DOS. I've used both, but soaps are too young to tell anything or I haven't gotten around to using them yet.

what Milla said plus you could also add a small amount of Vitamin E which works as an antioxidant and is believed to keep dos at bay.

I try to keep my Iodine # at around 52-55, I'm an extreme worry wart though....LOL :shock:

They are both very nice in soap . They are both pretty expensive compared to other oils here in Canada .

I use safflower 7% in my recipes and the grapeseed oil I have used to superfat my soaps.

I have used both of these oils to soap with. Grapeseed is one of my favourites, I find it as conditioning as olive oil. Be aware though if you use too much it can cause your recipe to trace a lot quicker than youare used to. Some say it contributes to dos but i've not had that problem.

I've used grapeseed oil for superfatting too. I like it. But I haven't been soaping long enough to say if it gets DOS or not, the bars I used it in are only 2ish months old now.

I don't know about using grapeseed oil in soap, but it is one of my base oils when I make lotion. It absorbs very quickly by the skin.

I added to my soaps ( Grapeseed), I really like the feeling of my skin after showering with them. It just adds to the SF of the soaps.

ETA the oil I used:)

Safflower is fanastic. It adds great qualities to the lather. I use it alot at around 15%. I like it much better than canola.

I use both in my base soap recipe and love them! The only batches of soap of mine that have gotten DOS are my bastille - 3 batches went ugly on me within about 5 months - all made with different OO. :?: :?: :?: :?

Latest posts

Back