Graininess with Shea Butter in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shonnyisley - Have you figured out how to avoid getting those bubbles?
I've recently started using a stick blender and it's amazing but I'm getting those bubbles practically every time. I release the air from under the bell before starting, and bang the pot down a number of times which is supposed to help but I haven't found any real cure!

Anyone have experience with the bubble action? :)

LadyM said:
shonnyisley - Have you figured out how to avoid getting those bubbles?
I've recently started using a stick blender and it's amazing but I'm getting those bubbles practically every time. I release the air from under the bell before starting, and bang the pot down a number of times which is supposed to help but I haven't found any real cure!

Anyone have experience with the bubble action? :)

I get bubbles every time I use my Black and Decker SB no matter how careful I am. It has a scalloped bell which I think is meant to whip air into things. When I use my Rival, whose bell is more solid, I don't get bubbles. I'm going to make it a point to check the bell shape next time I buy one.

What's model of the Rival you have do you know?

I use Oster and I get bubbles every time, I'd love to get one that doesn't do that!!
Is it the Rival IB954W Ultrablend 2-Speed Handheld Immersion Blender?

Ultrablend Model 18954 What I like the best about it is it has a longer solid plastic body, so you can immerse it a little deeper than some other brands. The seam in the plastic is right under the "on" button. It was $19.99 if I remember correctly. No attachments or anything, just the SB.

Haha I think it must be the same one I was talking about IB954 vs 18954 cause I can't find 18 online at all :)

Does it look like this?

I add shea this way,

For me, I don't consider shea a base oil: it's special.

Mix the lye solution into the base oils first, each at its correct respective temperature.

Have the shea separate and melted and hot (thin, totally totally melted).

Mix the base oils and lye. Wait. Give the base oils a good head start to be saponified by the lye. (The idea is to keep the shea as unsaponfied as possible, so it's a rich emollient to preserve moist skin.)

Look for trace. Then speed up the mixing. Try not to whip in bubbles (keep the mixing head well beneath the surface and a bit to the side). But get a rapid vortex going in the center (a 'tornado').

Pour the shea in one motion right down the vortex. Keep mixing at high speed. Disperse that shea, while it's hot. Don't allow it a chance to re-crystalize.

Essential oils go in after that.

Pour at proper thickness.

nice, in theory, but with that much lye available for the reaction why would you think that the shea is left behind. once it's in the mix, it's a fatty acid free-for-all.

unrefined shea does have a good amount of unsaponifiables (I suppose refined does too), but those will remain regardless of the point at which the shea is added to the mix.

the shea butter really cannot crystalize in your soap - it's not shea butter any longer.

Latest posts

Back