Good scents for CPOP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouse

Reaction score
I'm new to this method. I did one or two in loaf silicone molds, one ginger lime, and one sandalwood. The soap turned out nice, but with a scaly surface on the bottom where the soap met silicone, which I had to scrape/cut off.
Earlier this week, I did two different batches in a wooden mold, just plain pomace OO, and another pomace and coconut. I was very pleased with them and they are on racks curing now.
Today I did an swirled Applejack, still in the oven, but it didn't occur to me to check the flashpoint until it was poured and in the oven :(
I set the oven to 170, the lowest temp it will go, let it cook for an hour, and then shut it off until gel is complete (After several hours, it's still in full gel). The flashpoint of the Applejack is 149, so I expect I am going to lose a lot of this fragrance during the processing time.
I have also noticed that there are some fragrances without listed flashpoints.
So what is your experience? What works and what doesn't? I have a couple of combinations already planned that I don't think will work for this method. I'm concerned about using EO's (I'm waiting on a shipment of Himalayan Cedarwood, 5x Orange, Petitgrain, and Basil) and FO's using this method, but I've fallen in love with it.
What works and what doesn't? I'm sure the citruses won't work, but what about, say BB Honeysuckle FO? (No flashpoint listed)
What have you used that came through really well?

From my personal experience, 170F in the oven shouldn't be burning off your fragrances completely. I've done sweet orange 5x EO in the oven and it came through just fine, same with all my FO's (95% are from NDA in my case).

You also might not need to leave the oven on for so long. A lot of time, I preheat the oven while mixing the soap, then pop it in the oven, do my cleanup and turn off the oven and leave the door closed. So my soap spends a few hours in the oven, but only 20-30 minutes of that time is actually spent with it on. I've even gone so far as turning the oven off a minute after putting the soap in and haven't had any problems either.

We had a long discussion on the boards when I got the alligator skin on top and bottom of my soaps when I tried CPOP for the first time. My oven only goes down to 170F and I've had similar problems with the funky skin.

Have you tried either moving the rack you are using to the middle of the oven or leaving the oven cracked open an inch for maybe 5 mins to bring the temp down slightly?

I haven't had any trouble with losing scents in CPOP but I'd watch citrus ones since they don't hold up well to even CP even if you add corn starch to "fix" it or into the fridge with it to stop gel and even then it's not guaranteed. I'd make a note on each bottle what their flashpoints are so you will have a heads up and just turn the oven off sooner or crack open the door if the scent has a low flashpoint.

I CPOP by leaving the oven on for an hour and haven't had any problems. I have had problems with the two BB fragrances I have used. I never had issues with them in M&P, lotion, bubble bath, etc., just CP. I know I won't be buying anymore. It is too bad because they have great fragrances. :(

Soapy Gurl said:
I CPOP by leaving the oven on for an hour and haven't had any problems. I have had problems with the two BB fragrances I have used. I never had issues with them in M&P, lotion, bubble bath, etc., just CP. I know I won't be buying anymore. It is too bad because they have great fragrances. :(

I wouldn't judge BB by two fragrances alone - they have many that are completely unproblematic in CP. Did you check the Soap Scent Review Board first? It can help you weed out problem FOs.

Latest posts

Back