Good looking soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artsycrafty15

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413066086.422460.jpg

Will it make a good soap? My values all seem to be within range but it's my first batch and I don't want to make too big of a mess with it :)

the cleansing number is a bit high. Try dropping the coconut oil to 20% and the castor to 5%, add 15% more olive oil or if you have it, some palm or lard.

+1 to what Obsidian said about the castor oil at 5% and the coconut oil down a bit. If I have coconut oil at 30%, I need to have the superfat at 8% or its too drying for me.

Thats ok, olive oil will be just fine to make up what you take away from the other oils. Since your recipe is low in hard oils, you soap might take a couple days to set up enough to unmold and cut so don't worry if it seems soft.
Make sure you post pics of your soap, the first batch is always special:)

Thank you! I sure will I'm super excited! I've done some melt and pour but I feel this should be right up my alley.

Thank you everyone for all the help! It went by the book. Now I must find patience. Anyone got any extra laying around? :)

Waiting for that first batch to be ready is the hardest part. Now try and get a hold of some palm or lard and get busy making some more soap lol.

the cleansing number is a bit high. Try dropping the coconut oil to 20% and the castor to 5%, add 15% more olive oil or if you have it, some palm or lard.

Thanks for this post!
icon_wave.gif
I've been wondering "why so drying?", and I usually use coconut oil at around 25-23%. I thought it was something I should figure out on my own, but since you volunteered that ...
icon_thumbup.gif
THANKS.

Waiting for that first batch to be ready is the hardest part. Now try and get a hold of some palm or lard and get busy making some more soap lol.

Can't use lard, husband has the Alpha Gal allergy so nothing but fish or foul in our home. I'll have to order palm. Where's the best place to get it? (Nothing too expensive)

Depends where you are. I can pick up palm at our local Whole Foods or you can order it from one of the main suppliers. Since I am in California I find ordering from Brambleberry works best for me but I know there are cheaper places like soapers choice.

from your answer this means that someone that eg, doesn not want to use palm, can use OO instead to make a harder and lasting bar? OO is high in oleic while palm oil is high in palmitic, can oleic substitute palmitic?
Thank you

from OO is high in oleic while palm oil is high in palmitic, can oleic substitute palmitic?
Thank you

Not in my book. Although both will cure out hard after all is said and done, the lathering and the conditioning properties will be totally different from each other.

Speaking only for myself, if I were going to use a substitute for palm, I would use either lard and/or tallow, or else some of the harder/brittle butters such as cocoa butter, illipe butter, and/or kokum butter.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back